Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: 100NL 6-max straight flush - what\'s your play?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:08 PM

It is -exactly- right, IMO, and a good play. I'm keeping that one for future reference, xorbie.

Kirk R.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:08 PM

I'd bet $10 and see what happens, this is LL Poker, FPS not needed.
I'm really hoping one has 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and other A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

-Bri
Old 06-18-2005, 03:22 AM

No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Sounds to me like you play was too passively. You mentioned how you are like the average tight 2+2er. Tight is a good thing, but passive is not. I can just tell from this one post that you are too passive. Again, passive will work okay at small stakes, but when you get to higher stakes and you are only raising the nuts no one will give you action. See what I'm sayin?
Old 06-18-2005, 03:39 AM

You misread what I said. I said "I sound like the normal tight 2+2er."

I appreciate you trying to help, it's just kind of funny because I am far from the average tight/passive 2+2 SSNL player. No big deal, you just got the wrong impression, which is perfectly understandable. And considering the limit and my opposition, you are right: I should be raising.

But in a better game, a good player isn't going to call with anything I beat. Especially so since I am a tight player. So the truth is that my play is actually MORE suited for a higher level of play, which isn't surprising since I usually play against much tougher competition than Stars 100nl 6max. In a tougher game, my smooth call on the turn allows a straight or lower flush to bet again on the river when they are behind, whereas they would fold if I raised the turn. And since hands that I beat are basically drawing dead, I don't have to raise to protect my hand.

But against the level of opposition in this hand, which would likely call down with a straight and definitely a flush, I should raise.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:47 AM

I disagree. I raise every single time in this spot even in higher staked games for a couple of reasons. Just because they aren't low stakes doesn't mean the players are good. You DO need to protect your hand from the lone Ad and Kd, and sets and two pair. Also, there are plenty of hands that call your raise here depending on the player .. straight, smaller flush, Ad, set, and a lot of players will call with two pair and worse. If you do get reraised re-evaluate everything, and just go from there.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:49 AM

I also feel it is necessary to tell you once again how much I like your avatar [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2005, 03:50 AM

Bet the pot. I'm debating a push, but a pot size I think is good. Anything else is going to look too suspicous. Someone with the Ad is going to call 1/2 or full pot size bet and probably raise you. Perhaps you're even going to get a call with K of diamonds, but it just depends on the player. The check on the river doesn't look good, so you might as well go for it. Your either getting action or you're not. 1/2 or 1/3 isn't going to get called with without a high diamond (unless you think he's a really bad player), so go for it and hope for the best.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:00 AM

I play the 2/5 at turning stone. If there is anyone who knows about higher limit games being soft, it's me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. FWIW, when I said a "higher level of play" I specifically meant tougher opponents, not higher stakes. My fault, I should have been more clear.

Anyways...

[ QUOTE ]
You DO need to protect your hand from the lone Ad and Kd, and sets and two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are being too general. I have specific reads for this hand, and they don't include sets or 2p. In a different situation where I could put my opponents on that, I would raise to protect my hand. Also, this pot is small. I'm willing to risk being outdrawn and having to fold on the river to avoid losing a big pot because I raised a superior hand. Raising for protection becomes much more important when there is a pot worth protecting.

And yeah, my avatar kicks ass.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet $12 exactly. This allows MP to raise, and if he just flat calls and SB raises (which is possible with short stack donks) then you can push over that. It also looks weak enough that MP could raise it to say $25 and even if he does fold to a push over that, at least you get that extra $ in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call this the rope a dope(they don't call me Ali for nothing), but I'd bet more like $3 and hope that it looks weak enough that someone comes over the top. In this situation, it's not that bad a play, but I still pot size it.