Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Are we breeding a whole generation of mediocre poker players?

I've been bred. I was an expert Scrabble player who played on the Scrabble tourney circuit, but there was no money in it except for maybe at best the top 10 players on the circuit. Now I'm a mediocre poker player instead and make a decent living. And Limit Hold Em is my worst game. So, as a player who doesn't feel all that competent at poker, who plays games where game selection sucks (stud8, Omaha8) at relatively modest limits, I can still make a living. Why? Bonus whoring. I can play relatively risk-free at low limits, make a little while scoring bonuses. So, as a result, yes, I agree, there is little incentive for many to learn how play better at higher limits. I can count on a living the way I play now. If I push it and play higher I might screw myself.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I push it and play higher I might screw myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand you thinking here. I've thought that myself, and stayed at limits that are comfortable for longer than I should have. That's a problem for me.

The real question here is are you progressing from a technical standpoint? I know I have delayed my improvement by multi-tabling.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2005, 04:55 PM

I ment mediocre to relate to a player's overall understanding of poker(and) their ability to apply their knowledge properly in game situations. This of course does not go hand-in-hand with money won (due to multi-tabling) as it would in many other income areas.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2005, 05:00 PM

in this case your definition of mediocre means that someone can still be profitable playing the game, my best friend has limited knowledge (not that smart, doesnt read, doesnt try to find leaks etc.) yet he makes a little money playing online (but loses it all in our home game). my point being is that if a mediocre player has exceptional game selection abilities then he/she can make a profit.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:11 PM

I guess my question is "why does it matter?" The very good players should be happy to have a generation of mediocre players who win just enough to keep them around. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The mediocre players are generally happy with what they earn and the true fishies don't care one way or the other. Win-win-win for all sides.

Personally, I think it is like all endeavors - there will be a 1% who because they are:

A) intensely dedicated
B) ambitious
C) talented

will become great. Another 10-20% will shoot for the greatness and miss, and everyone else will be happy with how they are currently. And the circle of life continues on.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:19 PM

good post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Every generation of poker players has been, on average, mediocre.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:35 PM

i think that anything considered sport or hobby is overflowed with mediocrity. just think of all the people that play sports or cards b/c of enjoyement and not the want to be the best or make money etc.

side note: to be honest i think we are breeding better card players than ever before with all the books and sites (like 2+2) educating people, though not all take advantage it is still enough to make a difference.