Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How long have you been playing winning poker?
Just show me the results, please. 0 0%
Still losing. 5 3.27%
Less than 1 month. 0 0%
1-3 months. 12 7.84%
3-6 months. 17 11.11%
6 months to 1 year. 48 31.37%
1-2 years. 52 33.99%
2-5 years. 15 9.80%
5-10 years. 3 1.96%
More than a decade. 1 0.65%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Going to try playing live 1/2 for a living....

[ QUOTE ]

since when is $35K-$50K not a living wage..you must be kidding me..read the guy's posts...he just bought a car for $2K. If he is single depending on the cost of living of where he plays-$750-$1000 a week is a decent wage not just for him but 40% of Americans.

What area of the country are we talking about OP?

[/ QUOTE ]

$35-50K is barely getting by in cities like Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. Making that amount, a reasonable rent is $400-700 a month. If you live in Austin Texas, you are not gonna have trouble finding a one or two bedroom apartment on the low end of that amount. In the bigger coast cities though, you can only find those type rents in rougher areas. In any half decent area, the cheapest, smallest studio you will find runs $750 and up. So your income is extremely streched due to high rents. At $35-50K a year in Los Angeles you are looking at 1/4 to 1/2 of your take home income for rent.

Sometimes those of us in these type areas forget that much of the country has a lower cost of living than we do.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:34 PM

agreed big diffrence trying to make it playing this game in LA,SF then some midwestern locale..dont really know whats out there now.. I assume at most decent sized rooms this game is being spread regularly.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:38 PM

mmmmmmmmm... Ramen
Old 09-09-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

$35-50K is barely getting by in cities like Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. Making that amount, a reasonable rent is $400-700 a month. If you live in Austin Texas, you are not gonna have trouble finding a one or two bedroom apartment on the low end of that amount. In the bigger coast cities though, you can only find those type rents in rougher areas. In any half decent area, the cheapest, smallest studio you will find runs $750 and up. So your income is extremely streched due to high rents. At $35-50K a year in Los Angeles you are looking at 1/4 to 1/2 of your take home income for rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in the ATX, but there is not a B&M for a minimum of 5 hours. Still amazes me Texas of all states does not have cardrooms. $600 a month here could get you the smallest unit in a luxury apt complex. The term luxury is misused, but its just a good statement to say (better than 80% of the complexes out there). If you have 650 sq ft, is having another 200 sq ft that important for the extra amount of $$$? Some it is, some it is not. Hell for $600 a month, you could find a sweet duplex with a yard and not have to live in some huge apt complex.

Rent is just a endless blackhole. You pay off a month, you get 30 days. Next month, pay off another 30 days. Look at a 5 year span, how much you will throw down on rent each year. It will start to add up.

Your home is important, because that is where you spend a lot of time. If you are single, don't have much stuff, I say live on the lower end of your income. You will save more $$$ for anything else you want to do (traveling for one). I hope one day to just own some piece of property so my payments are going towards ownership and not towards the endless feeding of rent.

It is a luxury to live on the expensive west/east coast cities. Your cashflow and lifestyle are always the deciding factors.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:26 PM

You need a much bigger bankroll than any of the choices if you want to make a living at it...The swings of poker and NLHE in particular make that the hardest game to make a living at...It would be easier to make a living playing 10/20 or even 6/12 Limit in my opinion

I would ask where you are going to play also as that would have a big effect on the bankroll needed
Old 09-09-2005, 04:34 PM

I would suggest you not play 1/2 for a living.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The swings of poker and NLHE in particular make that the hardest game to make a living at...It would be easier to make a living playing 10/20 or even 6/12 Limit in my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really true? I am no pro but it seems like the swings at limit can be just as bad if not worse than NL, at least based on my online play.

As for the OP, couldn't you accomplish the same thing by 4-tabling the 50NL games online? You'd play a lot more hands, which would reduce your variance, you'd pay less rake, and could work from home.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Word. Don't play for a living unless you've got at least six months' worth of living expenses, and probably more if you don't want your diet to consist of boiled beans and rice, and Ramen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmmm....beef flavored ramen...

[/ QUOTE ]

Beware the Ramen.

I know a guy that ate only Ramen for many months and actually came very close to having scurvy. His roommate was the ONLY reported case of scurvy in the United States that year. I'm not kidding though I did mention it mainly as a ridiculous novelty story.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM

Swings in NL are less than in limit. And its not a discussion, its a fact.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Swings in NL are less than in limit. And its not a discussion, its a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to elaborate. Or shall we drop the discussion because you say it's fact?