Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-24-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: The Fly (1986)

I agree with your love for the film, and still remember the insect politician speech very, very fondly. It was chilling, yet obviously so painful for him to say. What a weird mix -- a guy being so afraid to make a threat that's at the same time such a devastating, horrible admission of loss -- the loss of his willpower and even entire humanity! And to do it to probably the one person he cares most about. To know the horror he is not only capable of but will shortly be unable to stop. It's a brilliant little speech, and Jeff Goldblum gave it so, so well. This was some of the best acting you could see, and amazingly enough, it was in a horror/sci-fi flick, the last place you usually expect to see something like that. For horror/sci-fi fans, a movie of this quality was a huge, unexpected gift.

I didn't know anyone who wasn't raving about the film when it came out and for quite a while after. Everyone loved this thing, and people were saying Goldblum definitely deserved an Oscar nomination. I agree; he did. Unfortunately, it seems to have somewhat gone the way of films that have come out in the last decade or two, being forgotten by those who didn't see it in the theater when it came out. I'm surprised when I bump into people who have never seen it, because it seems like blasphemy to me, and I wonder if maybe the insects have gotten to THEM.

Gina whatever her name is, the female lead, was good too, being genuinely emotional in some scenes in just the right way, and simply likeable in others. This very early piece was very close to the high point of her career, I think.

An amazingly good film. The script and the acting were of a practically unheard of level for anything remotely connected to horror or sci-fi. Incredibly watchable, a real joy.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The part where he vomits on the guys arm and leg have scarred me to this day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually the part where he goes to the bar and snaps another dude's forearm has kept me from arm wrestling to this very day.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the masterful David Cronenberg,

[/ QUOTE ]

You're drinking the kool-aid. Why? The Fly came out in 1986. He hasn't made a decent flick since then.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The part where he vomits on the guys arm and leg have scarred me to this day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually the part where he goes to the bar and snaps another dude's forearm has kept me from arm wrestling to this very day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:38 PM

When he's pulling his teeth out got me really viscerally. You could really feel his misery about his own unstoppable and horribly gross decline.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're drinking the kool-aid. Why? The Fly came out in 1986. He hasn't made a decent flick since then.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was masterful in executing this film. And Dead Ringers.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead Ringers
Spider
Existenz
Old 10-24-2005, 04:58 PM

Good call on existenz, very impressed when people have seen this
Old 10-24-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good call on existenz, very impressed when people have seen this

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't very impressed with it. I think I've seen it twice, too. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 05:33 PM

I was just recommending some Cronenberg movies to someone last night after watching his latest - History of Violence.

Gotta love the George Chuvalo cameo in The Fly. For those who don't know, Chuvalo was the greatest heavyweight fighter to ever come out of Canada. No one could knock this guy down. He even fought Ali and went the distance. Anyhow he's the guy Brundlefly armwrestles with in the bar.

Jeremy Irons was brilliant in Dead Ringers and when he won the acadamy award the next year for a lesser role in a far inferior movie he thanked Cronenberg during his acceptance speech. I remember running across 2 teenage girls in a video store once and they were looking for a horror movie reccomendation. I happened to be standing there and Dead Ringers was on the shelf. I got them to take it. I often have wondered how creeped out they got.

For vintage Cronenberg, Videodrome and Scanners are classics. If you haven't seen them you should.

And how about Crash? Not the new movie by the same title but Cronenberg's film about people fascinated (obsessed) with car crashes. Without giving anything away let me just tell you it starts with a girl in an airplane hanger fondling the nose cone of a small jet. A guy comes up and starts banging her from behind. After that it gets a little weird.