Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2003, 10:28 PM

Default Raising 9\'s UTG

Paradise $.50/$1. Pretty new to the table that has a 50% flop percentage. Anything and everything seen at showdown. I'm dealt 99 UTG and open raise (what do you think, bad play?). Folded around to blinds who both come along.

Flop comes:
4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets out, BB calls I raise, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn comes:
9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, I bet, call, call.

River:
T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

SB check, BB check, I bet, call, call.

I suppose this is a standard hand, but I'm curious about thoughts on my play and what you think the other hands were. Thanks for any and all comments.

Results to come.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Raising 9\'s UTG

I think raising UTG in this type of game is a horrible play. I think you make much more in the long run by just calling and trying to play a huge multiway pot. With a flop % this high, it would appear that people are playing anything and everything including any two suited and any ace. In that case, you're probably going to have to hit the flop to win (with the rare exception being a flop like the one you actually got). I say just call and let them in.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:35 PM

In a loose game like that, I tend to limp more with medium pairs than in a tight game where the UTG raise has a good chance of stealing the blind. But if your EP raises were often getting that kind of respect, then raising is good.

After that the hand pretty much played itself.

I figure SB probably paired the 6 on the flop, maybe 56 or 67 for the straight draw as well. BB maybe had some hearts and paired the 9 or T so decided to see the showdown, I'll go with KT [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] just to guess.

Its pretty hard to read people who just go call call call, especially from the blinds.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:37 PM

I'd limp UTG in a 50% flop game, but raising isn't terrible. You have the best hand most likely at the time, but finishing that way you may need some help. I'd probably limp then play the hand the same way you did.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:46 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the replies. SB showed QQ and BB showed KK. I guess my raises were getting respect! Surprised they didn't get a raise in and let me control the action. Definitely surprised I wasn't reraised on the flop, or pre-flop for that matter!
Old 05-23-2003, 03:54 AM

Raising, is my default play, but in a game this loose, I would rather limp, and try and play this multiway, and flop a set. I would play this hand the same way after the flop.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:33 AM

99 playes best heads up or multiway, 3-5 way is not good. For that reason I would limp UTG in a loose game, if it gets raised back to you with more than 5 players in make a reraise.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:04 PM

I was thinking along the same lines. Imagine my surprise when I saw QQ and KK at the showdown.