Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 11:55 AM

Default How much of a risk averse wuss am I? Won\'t move up to 10/20....

I've been playing online for 3 years or so, played 1-2 for about a year, moved up to 3-6, did very well there, played 5-10 for most of the time and did well, built up about a 40k bankroll and gave 15-30 a shot last year, where I made 5k and then went on a 7k losing streak, then I quit and went back down to 5/10 6max, where I've been ever since. I now have 60k in the bank, but I'm still scared about dealing with the swings in the 10/20 6max. My bb/100 is probably only like 1.5 or so, I haven't kept track in awhile because pokertracker is so labor intensive, but most of my experience in the 5/10 6max has been pretty frustrating, even though I've made a very decent amount of money over the long haul. Am I a total wuss for not giving 10-20 6max a shot, despite the large bankroll?? I just get so caught up in the variance sometimes, I think I'm starting to deal with it much better lately, but it still bothers me. It doesn't adversely affect my play, just my level of happiness. Anyone here as risk averse as I am?? I need some encouragement. If I'm only beating the 5/10 by maybe 2 bb/100 at the most, I'm going to go through hell at 10-20 aren't I? I'll grow as a player, and I can certainly withstand the losses financially, but I'll be totally depressed. Then again, maybe I'll rock it, so is the reward worth the risk? Help!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: How much of a risk averse wuss am I? Won\'t move up to 10/20....

You've (a) been playing successfully online for 3 years; (b) "took a shot" at 15/30 (with an big BR) and only had a net loss of $2,000; (c) have a current BR of 2,000 BB for 15/30; and (d) are vascilating as to whether you should continue to play at 5/10 6 max?

Move up to 15/30. Sheesh.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:17 PM

I have to disagree with the first responder. I have conflicting feelings. If your mind is telling you you are not ready than perhaps you are not.

Are you playing poker primarily for enjoyment?

On the other hand, the swings get easier as you get used to them.

I guarantee you Roy Cooke was playing lower games than he was bankrolled for an was way more skilled than many players at higher levels but he just felt more comfortable at lower games.

Also, I am a bit confused by your BB/100 as to whether or not that is in the 5/10 game but frankly (if it is your 5-10 wr) that is not a huge win rate that would clearly point you to moving up.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't kept track in awhile because pokertracker is so labor intensive

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you playing poker primarily for enjoyment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a job but the majority of my income is definitely poker. I do love the game, even when I'm not running particularly well. I hate the game when I'm losing badly, which aside from this week, has been fairly often lately.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I am a bit confused by your BB/100 as to whether or not that is in the 5/10 game but frankly (if it is your 5-10 wr) that is not a huge win rate that would clearly point you to moving up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that bb/100 is just my estimation for 5/10 6max, maybe over 50-60k hands or so. I agree, it's not indicative of an immediate move up to 10/20. I know I still have some minor leaks but I'm still fairly certain I'm capable of beating 10/20 6max, but there's the issue that if I start losing, do I just give up and move back down again? That would be an enormous waste of time and opportunity.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break. So basically what you're saying is that I'm not capable of improving my game, bla bla because I haven't looked at pokertracker in awhile, and thus I shouldn't move up?
Old 04-22-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he doesn't play at any of the skins that automatically go into PT. So he has to copy and paste every 100 hands, which is a pain.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:32 PM

i have no idea why, but i had a dream about you last night. you were 2 to my right at gamesgrid in a $1/2 N/L game. you had me in a bad way with set over set, but i hit my one outer for quads on the turn, when we both got all our money in. maybe this post should go in the phsych forumn? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

cheers!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I'll be totally depressed

[/ QUOTE ]

With a 1.5 winrate why risk it. Just be happy, more important. I am in the same postion and feel the same way, winrate is higher and I am sticking at 5/10.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:36 PM

My honest opinion after thinking some more (and I don't say this for any reason other than to answer the question you posed) is that you probably should continue to improve your game before moving up. My thoughts:

1. The win rate is very good but not great in very soft games, seems like your postflop play could use some improvement.

2. The tone of your post indicates you are pretty risk averse (I am as well). Given how swingy the 10-20 six max will be I would say work on your game and then move up.

My personal opinion, and don't mean to be controversial is many posters move up too quickly rather than too slowly. FWIW I am solidly over 2bb/100 at my current level and feel I have a lot of improving to do before moving up to the next level. I also want to get 100k-150k hands under my belt to build the bankroll and build my skills.

Just my two cents.