Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Hiring people to play poker, setting up a company

Here's a random idea I wanted to bring up to see what people have to say about it. Be as critical as you want, I'm definitely open to hear reasons why it would or wouldn't work:

Set up a proprietary poker company in a third world country where the typical income is low, and hire and train people to play low limit hold 'em online. You would have to lease a building, buy computers and furniture, set up a corporation, get internet/phone access and pay people to sit there for however many hours a day. I'm sure some type of profit sharing plan could be set up as well, but obviously all the income would be from their profits in poker. I have absolutely NO idea what these kinds of expenses would amount to, and whether or not you could turn a profit, so I'd like to hear comments, suggestions, opinions, etc. Also, maybe there are some of you who might be willing to partner up with me on this? It's obviously just an idea at this point but I'm very open to the possibility of going ahead with it if I had enough confidence in the business plan, and I have enough money to fund it. I've been beating limit hold 'em for several years and I think I'm capable of teaching someone the necessary skills. I also think I'd be a good judge of character in recruiting people. OK, what do you think? I need serious feedback.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Hiring people to play poker, setting up a company

If you were capable of playing poker for profit, would you do that for 10-20% of your potential? Your workers would use the free training you give them, work for just long enough to get their own equipment (or find a netcafe) and go play for their own money. Or they would just lose the money to someone they know... This is almost completely impossible as a business model.

Freakin
Old 04-04-2005, 01:59 PM

outsourcing poker
Old 04-04-2005, 01:59 PM

If I am any good I'M gone 1st of the month.

And I will come back several times and cut down your cable.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:04 PM

even better. give them a bankroll, teach them how to play, but become an affiliate and sign them up under you, where the rakeback pay comes to you. that way: they have your computers, your internet access, your bankroll to get started, they wont get smart and think "i could profit more on my own" because they would make the same money, but youd rake in cash.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were capable of playing poker for profit, would you do that for 10-20% of your potential? Your workers would use the free training you give them, work for just long enough to get their own equipment (or find a netcafe) and go play for their own money. Or they would just lose the money to someone they know... This is almost completely impossible as a business model.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've thought about this. What if I had them sign a non-compete agreement before I trained them? Meaning all their profits from poker are legally mine and they're not allowed to play on their own account. Yes, it would be hard to enforce, but I also believe there are plenty of intelligent people in third world countries that need work, and would be willing to take their pay and be satisfied. As far as the other issue goes of dumping money to someone they know, I'd have to keep a close watch on usernames, change them often and keep them anonymous. No phone usage while you're playing, etc.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even better. give them a bankroll, teach them how to play, but become an affiliate and sign them up under you, where the rakeback pay comes to you. that way: they have your computers, your internet access, your bankroll to get started, they wont get smart and think "i could profit more on my own" because they would make the same money, but youd rake in cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better: just become a big affiliate and get a whole bunch of people to sign up under you.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:12 PM

What if I had them sign a non-compete agreement before I trained them?

You have lost your damn mind........

LOL
Old 04-04-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Even better: just become a big affiliate and get a whole bunch of people to sign up under you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realized that as soon as I started writing my post.. but it has nothing to do with this "outsourcing" nonsense, so I didn't say it.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
outsourcing poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link, I didn't realize this issue has already been discussed at length. Anyway, I don't think the non-compete agreement idea is as farfetched as some people think. The affiliate money from playing 8 hours a day at 2-4, 3-6 or whatever would be really substantial, and you could afford to pay them a generous % of their profits. Yes, anyone that's capable of beating poker is probably smart enough to know they can just do it on their own, but if you brought this up to them before hiring and training them, and then asking them to play a certain amount of hands for you before they go on their own, I'm sure plenty would find that to be a fair deal.