Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: How much of a risk averse wuss am I? Won\'t move up to 10/20....

[ QUOTE ]
I too am confused by this whole bit about imprting hands from euro.

Is it possible that illiniry doesn't know that the hands are being kept on his computer automatically now??

Is it possible that he didn't get the pokertracker update that allows the auto-import of these hands without having to get them via e-mail (or copying and pasting them)??

Since some people actually DO have regular jobs and actually DON'T live on these forums I suppose it's possible he hasn't heard about it.

I remember when Schneids was doing his $60k in 60 days journal last summer and we told him all about the cool 'new' (at the time) stats-export thing where p-tracker has all the stats exported directly to the party-notes.

Some people just don't keep up with all the new gadgets and toys that are available.
Grannymae just asked a couple weeks ago what 'playerview' is.
I suspect illiniry isn't aware of the ease of importing hands these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Microbob,

I haven't been on here since yesterday, so when I saw all the extra posts, I went right to yours because you always have the most meaningful things to say. Thanks for the input, you actually are right about the hand history importing. I just got a new laptop so my old poker tracker stuff is gone but I'm starting to upload new hands now and I just realize that it is, in fact, extremely easy to load them, so that's terrific. I'll start keeping track now and I think my new goal is going to be anything above 2bb/100 for the next 25k hands, and then there's a very good chance i'll move up and see what happens.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing online for 3 years or so, played 1-2 for about a year, moved up to 3-6, did very well there, played 5-10 for most of the time and did well, built up about a 40k bankroll and gave 15-30 a shot last year, where I made 5k and then went on a 7k losing streak, then I quit and went back down to 5/10 6max, where I've been ever since. I now have 60k in the bank, but I'm still scared about dealing with the swings in the 10/20 6max. My bb/100 is probably only like 1.5 or so, I haven't kept track in awhile because pokertracker is so labor intensive, but most of my experience in the 5/10 6max has been pretty frustrating, even though I've made a very decent amount of money over the long haul. Am I a total wuss for not giving 10-20 6max a shot, despite the large bankroll?? I just get so caught up in the variance sometimes, I think I'm starting to deal with it much better lately, but it still bothers me. It doesn't adversely affect my play, just my level of happiness. Anyone here as risk averse as I am?? I need some encouragement. If I'm only beating the 5/10 by maybe 2 bb/100 at the most, I'm going to go through hell at 10-20 aren't I? I'll grow as a player, and I can certainly withstand the losses financially, but I'll be totally depressed. Then again, maybe I'll rock it, so is the reward worth the risk? Help!

[/ QUOTE ]

You say you are scared. What are you scared of? If you take ten percent of your roll and take a shot at 10/20 you will still have enough to buy a BMW left over if you don't make it. Is it failure? The only way to fail is not to try. Or to give up.

Why don't you take a couple of hundred big bets and dedicate that to 10/20 and spend the first half of your sessions at 10/20 and the second half at 5/10? That way you will be grinding out your profit at 5/10 even if your shot at 10/20 doesn't work out?

Whatever you decide good luck and good playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. Funny that you mentioned the BMW, I actually already have one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, yeah I'm clearly a risk averse wuss, that was more of a rhetorical question than anything. I take losing really personally but I'm improving on it, and I will be moving up soon enough.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
omfg. 60k roll and your scared for 10/20? This has got to be a joke post.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of brings up another point. 60k is every penny I have in the bank, not a 'poker roll.' I don't know how many people differentiate the two but I'm certainly not willing to risk all my money on poker.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:14 PM

[quote The games are so soft right now it does seem a bit like burning money if you aren't trying to step it up and take your game to the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably what's persuading me the most to make the move up. In the back of my mind, I've really been feeling like we're in the golden age of online poker at this very moment, and it could be gone in a flash. Who knows what the hell is gonna happen with gambling laws and what not, and the caliber of players is only going to improve once the fish start realizing they can't beat the game.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is probably what's persuading me the most to make the move up. In the back of my mind, I've really been feeling like we're in the golden age of online poker at this very moment, and it could be gone in a flash. Who knows what the hell is gonna happen with gambling laws and what not, and the caliber of players is only going to improve once the fish start realizing they can't beat the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree completely.

While I don't know what will happen with the quality of the gaes in 1, 2 or 5 years I do think it's not a half-bad idea to try to make the money now IN CASE things go down the crapper (perhaps through legislation) in the future.

I'm not paranoid about the future...but I do think 'golden age' is a good way to put it....and that's kind of my incentive to get off my butt and work on getting better so I can make more money (that....and I would really like to get a new car).

Thanks for the compliment in the previous post. Glad to hear you have found out about the auto-import thing.

If you go a couple weeks or longer without checking in on the forums it's pretty easy to miss info about things like auto-importing and playerview, etc etc.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you dont have to go broke by moving up. everyone needs to find their peak so they can exploit it....
at least find your max number of games you can play and max out win rate.

[/ QUOTE ]
god has spoken..he makes it sound so simple and it really is...case closed.If you are rational and take this advice and progressively play higher you will find your peak BUT IF you dont push higher you will never know what your peak earning potential is.If you want to apply this advice but be somewhat cautious(because you are a wuss as I tend to be also ) just be sure you play solid samples ie 50K,100K at each level--so you arent deluding yourself-if per chance you are running overly good.Also for the cautious you could have say a 200 bb stop-loss that will force you to go back to your prior level of play re-evaluate,work on specific parts of your game that need attention and again try the higher limit.If you just cant beat the higher level on multiple attempts,study,etc stick to the level below that-that is your peak earning potential.This assumes the quality of all games at various levels is static.But chances are you may be a level or 2 higher than you are now..if you really work hard on your game.

Right now during this PokerBoom all serious players should be pushing themselves harder and faster towards identifying their peak earn.I struggle with this issue weekly.I'm starting to make very good money but I know if I pushed myself I could make 3-4 times as much..
I love poker but the main reason I play is to make money.If your main objective is to make money-than many solid players arent moving up fast enough obviously.