Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 12-06-2005, 04:40 PM

Default PAHUD- added more datapoints..performance has degraded

I added 6 datapoints to my PA display, bringing the total to 21. I four table. The single Database that it is referenced to is 180,000 hands.

It has been slow to display when I am switching between tables, and has been hogging the processor (My RAM situation is fine), giving me some slowdowns.

Any remedies besides a new CPU?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: PAHUD- added more datapoints..performance has degraded

I'm confused. 6 new datapoints bringing you to 21 total? Excuse my ignorance but what is a data point? Do you mean a database?

If you are not already using Postgres I would recommend switching ASAP. You can put a ton of Access databases into one Postgres database.

If you indeed do have 21 databases, there is no amount of ram, CPU, or efficient code that could speed things up. With every stat refresh you are essentially connecting to 21 different databases, totaling the results and providing one number. You say you 4 table. Thats 4 tables * 10 players per table * 21 database connections. For one full stat refresh you are making 840 database connections!

Put them into one, two or three Postgres databases and make sure you Vacuum/Full regularly and you'll notice a huge increase in performance.

This topic was discussed in length on the PA Hud forums not that long ago. Please take some time and read this thread...

http://pokeracesoftware.com/forums/v...sc&start=0

Best regards,

APerfect10
Old 12-06-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. 6 new datapoints bringing you to 21 total? Excuse my ignorance but what is a data point? Do you mean a database?

If you are not already using Postgres I would recommend switching ASAP. You can put a ton of Access databases into one Postgres database.

If you indeed do have 21 databases, there is no amount of ram, CPU, or efficient code that could speed things up. With every stat refresh you are essentially connecting to 21 different databases, totaling the results and providing one number. You say you 4 table. Thats 4 tables * 10 players per table * 21 database connections. For one full stat refresh you are making 840 database connections!

Put them into one, two or three Postgres databases and make sure you Vacuum/Full regularly and you'll notice a huge increase in performance.

This topic was discussed in length on the PA Hud forums not that long ago. Please take some time and read this thread...

http://pokeracesoftware.com/forums/v...sc&start=0

Best regards,

APerfect10

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry... 21 separate statistics (per player over 4 tables) displayed, originating from (1) 180,000 hand database.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:27 PM

Are you using Postgres or Access? 180k hands isnt all that much so either should be fine but Postgres really is preferred and you will notice a difference especially as your database grows.

Try either compacting your database (Access) or Vacuum Full/Analyze (Postgres). You can do this in PT under Utilities. Access=>Utilities->Compact a database & Compact Hand Histories. Postgres=>Utilities->Postgres Database Functions, check the Vacuum Full/Analyze radio button in the top left and click Compress.

Adding more displayed stats will not effect performance. Adding various filters will however slow things down a touch. If you are concerned primarily with performance I wouldnt use any filters unless you absolute have to.

Let me know how things turn out...

Best regards,

APerfect10

PS. For future reference, you are really best off posting PA Hud questions such as this in the PokerAce Hud Forums where you will typically get a much quicker response from either myself or Josh.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Postgres really is preferred and you will notice a difference especially as your database grows.

[/ QUOTE ]

So PAHUD runs faster with Postgres than Access?

Scott
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM

Yes.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you using Postgres or Access? 180k hands isnt all that much so either should be fine but Postgres really is preferred and you will notice a difference especially as your database grows.

Try either compacting your database (Access) or Vacuum Full/Analyze (Postgres). You can do this in PT under Utilities. Access=>Utilities->Compact a database & Compact Hand Histories. Postgres=>Utilities->Postgres Database Functions, check the Vacuum Full/Analyze radio button in the top left and click Compress.

Adding more displayed stats will not effect performance. Adding various filters will however slow things down a touch. If you are concerned primarily with performance I wouldnt use any filters unless you absolute have to.

Let me know how things turn out...

Best regards,

APerfect10

PS. For future reference, you are really best off posting PA Hud questions such as this in the PokerAce Hud Forums where you will typically get a much quicker response from either myself or Josh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, nevermind... I have done this stuff already.

I know nothing about computers. All that I know is that the last couple nights it has been hogging the processor much more than it did before.

The only (2) things that are different is:

1. I am on a DSL connection as opposed to dial-up. Which should not matter at all.

2. I am displaying more stats.

Not necessarily a big deal.. but in the past the program has not behaved this way.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:25 PM

What site are you playing on? If you open your task manager and view the processes tab, how much CPU is PAHud.exe using?

APerfect10 is right though, usually, vacuuming or compacting the database does wonders when things are going slow.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What site are you playing on? If you open your task manager and view the processes tab, how much CPU is PAHud.exe using?

APerfect10 is right though, usually, vacuuming or compacting the database does wonders when things are going slow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had (3) tables at Absolute and (1) at UB. PAHUD was peaking out between 80-85 in the CPU column. it was also using 26,000K of memory.

It seemed to work better when I shut it down and reopened it. But in the past I have never had to do this.

I vaccum my database every 8,000-10,000 hands (every two weeks) should I be doing this more?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:02 PM

Vacuuming every 8-10k hands is good.

There definitely seems to be a problem though if PAH is using 80-85% of your CPU. Have you tried rebooting your computer and see whether that resolved the issue? I cant think of anything else...maybe Josh can when he returns.