Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: fire the third barrel?

ok...just wanted to check my play here. I debated whether to check/call or just go ahead and bet. I thought if he had the flush I was calling a push, and if he didn't have the flush, but had a hand i was beating, then he might check behind on that river scare card. Because of this I elected to just push it in, and villain called with QTo and MHIG. Just wanted to check my line. Folding never entered my mind here, the pot was just too big and if I did check, I was calling his bet (he only had around 11 left...i'm not folding that into a pot this size.)
Old 12-29-2005, 02:11 PM

NH. I think that being too timid on the river is probably one of the major leaks of many SSNL players. I noticed it myself that I was checking to many rivers where I ended up having the best hand. It has been my main focus for quite some time now and I think I have helped my bottom line out quite a bit by taking more time on the river and not always getting weak with semi-decent hands.

Of course there are always times to check/call the river but I think once I learned that move it kind of took over and I would do it on autopilot at times.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 PM

yes
Old 12-29-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm mostly a SnG player just getting back into ring games, but am I the only one that folds this preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not folding AQ in a 6max game for .50 cents. These smallish raises are typically far from premium hands. I thought I had the best hand preflop but did not want to build a large pot out of position early...if the flop looked ok for me, then I would play agressively, otherwise i'd quietly fold.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm mostly a SnG player just getting back into ring games, but am I the only one that folds this preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely not unreasonable to consider folding preflop with AQo in the SB. But in this case I think that pot odds make it fairly easy to conclude that you should see the flop.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not folding AQ in a 6max game for .50 cents. These smallish raises are typically far from premium hands. I thought I had the best hand preflop but did not want to build a large pot out of position early...if the flop looked ok for me, then I would play agressively, otherwise i'd quietly fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like good reasoning. You say that the raises and flat calls are not premium hands... is this a result of playing 6 handed tables or because of the micro limits?

I'm interested if calling a preflop raise and flat call OOP with AQo would still be considered a good play at higher stakes.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 PM

well the reason I call is for a couple of things. I think my hand is best...but I don't reraise. He is not expecting me to wake up with AQ here...not to mention that the preflop raiser folded to my flop bet anyway. _Most_ people are reraising with AK, KK and AA...the only real hands i'm afraid of here. Also _most_ villains are reraising a set or a straight somewhere on this hand.....i mean, I'd reraise one on the turn because of the flush possibility and the thought that I might not get paid off if the flush hits the river, or even worse, I might lose.

Also at the 25nl tables, people will flat call a raise with any two cards, and I mean any two. I fold a lot of stuff to that raise, I probably don't call it with AJo...AQ is about the limit of the stuff i'd call a raise with from the SB..i'd call with pocket pairs too. The flat calls don't worry me at all, because i'd expect a raise from KK,AA or AK, which is really all I fear.

By just calling, I get some deception here...if He's got an ace smaller than me, I'm in good shape, and if an ace flops, i'm going to play cautiously because I could be behind AK from the original raiser...the best card for me is the queen, which I got.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I was interested in the preflop call.

I like the way that you played it post flop and agree with your reasoning. An overpair, flopped set or 2-pair probably would have re-raised you on one of the streets. You have to think you're ahead here. If he had made his flush on the river, you just add him to your buddy list with a note that he will call with flush draws without getting odds and make your money back the next time.

Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NH. I think that being too timid on the river is probably one of the major leaks of many SSNL players. I noticed it myself that I was checking to many rivers where I ended up having the best hand. It has been my main focus for quite some time now and I think I have helped my bottom line out quite a bit by taking more time on the river and not always getting weak with semi-decent hands.

Of course there are always times to check/call the river but I think once I learned that move it kind of took over and I would do it on autopilot at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tremendous point!

Until I got Pokertracker, I hadn't realized how much my aggressiveness dropped off on the river. PT was worth the price just for plugging up that leak.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:17 PM

I dont think weak/tight has become common on this fourm. In my month or so posting on this fourm my river agression has increased a lot. I am betting strong but not the nuts hands on the river way more often than I did before I started posting here.