Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-29-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Overlimping (thanks bottomset)

After a sweat session with bottomset last week, we talked about my play. He pointed out that I overlimped a few times too many. I've never heard that term, but found it very valuable.

I had a good seat to the left of 3 semi loose passive players and to my left were 3 tighty's. Like vpip<20 guys. Overall the table wasn't that great. The hand I remember was 89s in MP, it went a little something like this:

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5.00 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero folds.

The thing he pointed out was that with the tight players behind me, I probably wouldn't get enough callers to make the hand playable. I needed a few more callers in front. It hadn't clicked at the time and I asked if he raised with that, and he said usually no.

What I've figured out about this thus far:
<ul type="square">[*]I get stuck in a small pot with a marginal drawing hand.[/list] <ul type="square">[*]I have zero fold equity with calling stations in front.[/list] <ul type="square">[*]Even if I hit one of my cards, I could be reverse dominated.[/list]
Now this is something I haven't seen discussed, but could also pertain to hands like T9s, KJo, Axs and others.

Discussion?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Overlimping (thanks bottomset)

Yeah he's absolutely right here. Also, with aggressive players behind you risk being raised and having to call another bet to see a flop.

As far as the other hands you asked about, I'd fold T9s, I'd raise KJo, and depending on how much they call/fold postflop, I'd raise Axs. Usually A7s and above, and fold the rest, but it can lower depending on how weak the UTG player is.

The only time I like overlimping weak players with qustionable preflop hands is when I'm on the button.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:02 PM

98s is ok multiway, but if you have 3 tighties on your left, you dont know that its gonna be multiway yet. 3-way isnt multiway enough for 98s imo. T9s, same thing.

Axs I probably limp with too much, that's a trap hand and I fall for it all the time. I limp with Axs at party .5/1 10h from pretty much any position, cuz odds are there'll be 5 to the flop. 6max games I'll raise it, thins the herd and makes A-hi stronger shorter handed.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Also, with aggressive players behind you risk being raised and having to call another bet to see a flop.

Another excellent point i forgot to mention... That's probably a better reason to fold than 'not multiway enough'.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:10 PM

Small pocket pairs to some extent, too.

Basic SSH stuff.

Later,
Doc
Old 12-29-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Axs I probably limp with too much, that's a trap hand and I fall for it all the time. I limp with Axs at party

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of my leaks that I keep doing too much. Playing Axs in early position. I need to tighten that up especially at tight aggresive full ring tables. Not enough callers and too much of a chance to get raised behind me.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:39 PM

This is something I'm working on. For me, I believe it has to do with the "chart." Now that I"m comfortable that I know the default recommendations, I am working on thinking about WHY I limp/raise/fold any given hand. Most of them are easy (I raise KK because I am a big favorite/fold T7o because it's trash) but the middle suited connectors and little offsuit broadway hands are food for thought.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... but the middle suited connectors and little offsuit broadway hands are food for thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just a matter of steeling yourself to wait with those until LP, much like when you first threw away K4o when you realized that it's trouble. My personal demon is Axs.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:22 PM

Forgot Axs and Kxs type hands in my list. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 03:38 PM

all the hands you listed I'm usually still limping here minus the 98s.