Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2003, 12:50 AM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC
Default Button vs. blinds tourney hand

1111 is at seat 0 with 1330.
2222 is at seat 1 with 970.
aaaa is at seat 2 with 860.
bbbb is at seat 3 with 1790.
cccc is at seat 4 with 755.
dddd is at seat 5 with 2625.
eeee is at seat 6 with 2555.
ffff is at seat 7 with 2700.
gggg is at seat 8 with 2600.
hero is at seat 9 with 865.
The button is at seat 7.

gggg posts the small blind of 30.
hero posts the big blind of 60.

hero: 9c 6s

Pre-flop:

ffff calls. gggg calls. hero checks.

Flop (board: Ts 7c Td):

gggg checks. hero checks. ffff checks.

Turn (board: Ts 7c Td 8h):

gggg checks. hero checks. ffff bets
180. gggg raises to 360. hero goes all-in for
805. ffff folds. gggg calls.

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

gggg shows 9s Jh.
hero shows 9c 6s.

River (board: Ts 7c Td 8h 5s):

(no action in this round)

Showdown:

gggg has 9s Jh Ts 7c 8h: straight, jack high.
hero has 9c 6s Ts 7c 8h: straight, ten high.

Hand #801088-63 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
gggg wins 1970 with straight, jack high.
hero is eliminated.
----------------------------------------------------------------
this is a $100+ satellite into UB's january tournament. obviously i am short stacked at this point. is there anyway to get away from this. should the action before me notify that there are some big hands out there, think i tend to see the buttons bet as steal attempts(sure sometimes they are) often too much so, it is player dependant on when they do or dont, but i think they are stealing too much on my part. when gggg reraised, i figured maybe she has the ten, or a possible boat, but at this point i have to get chips or get outta dodge........any thoughts on this one??? my previous table had just broke so i was only half an orbit into this table
thanks
-morg
Old 12-26-2003, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Button vs. blinds tourney hand

[ QUOTE ]
gggg checks. hero checks. ffff bets
180. gggg raises to 360. hero goes all-in for
805. ffff folds. gggg calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like the SB Check-raised the turn and you went all in afterwards.

I just wonder what you thought he may be check raising with? I would think based on that Board [Ts 7c Td 8h] the only thing I would check raise at this point would be the nut straight. I think it is a long shot that he would check-raise with a hand worse than your low end straight.

Hotrod
Old 12-26-2003, 01:36 AM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

i wrote what i thought she had in my post above. when i think back to it, when i hit my straight i thought to myself great this is my hand, i need some chips, i am low stacked and have to do something quick. when she checkraise, i hesitated and thought maybe she has a ten, but would she check it through twice with that? online i tend to act too quick, if i plan a checkraise sometimes i disregard the information given by other playing oponents(terrible habit), when the action gets back to me i almost robotically make my play without processing the info. this is not always, but when i am not playing well(apparantly here) i have to admit the high end did not really enter my mind, i thought if i lose it is to a boat...that thought i obviously put aside and went for it. if you notice the stack sizes, maybe i am not in that desperate of a situation, but i needed some chips and maneuvering ability.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:02 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Thats what I get for reading and playing at the same time.

As far as being up against a boat you have to fold. I also think you're right about checking through twice with a ten. IF she had a ten and was trying to check raise and got no takers on the flop why would she try again.

Hotrod
Old 12-26-2003, 03:05 AM

Hi morgan,

Hrmmm ... this is still very early (only 30/60 blinds) so while you'd rather double through here, you're not really in desperation land.

Given that, you saw a check raise on a paired board where you had the sucker straight, where the pair was part of a one-gap connector, in an unraised pot. I.e.: it was not at all unlikely for someone to be in the pot on T8.

This is one of those situations where I've learned to not only look a gift horse in the mouth, but also take dental impressions. It's a hand you wouldn't have played against a raise, and it's certainly NOT the nut hand here. So I think I'd have to lay it down....

Rule #1 of No-Limit Hold'Em: Never go broke in an unraised pot....

Cris