Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 08:57 PM

Default 5-10 NLH at the MGM -- Villain wants a ruling

This hand had some interesting psychological elements to it. Villain in this hand had approximately $2K. I had him covered. We have been playing together for approximately 30 minutes. Villain and I haven't tangled yet, but he seems from the table banter to be a Vegas regular/grind it out pro. He has not gotten out of line yet, and I'm sure that he believes that he is better than me. The only hand that he has seen me take down was a flop semibluff where I made the nut flush on the river.

I make it $50 to go preflop after one limper with
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain calls in the BB. Limper calls as well.

Flop

K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villain checks. Limper checks. I bet $120. Villain calls. Limper folds.

Turn ($390)

2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks. I fire barrel two for $300. Villain looks at me and says to the dealer, "Only $100 of that bet made it past the bet line. I want a ruling on whether the bet was $100 or $300." The dealer looks at me to see if I plan to say anything in response.

Given my marginal holding, what is my play here?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NLH at the MGM -- Villain wants a ruling

Hah. I'm guessing he wants a cheap flush (or doubtful straight) draw.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:31 PM

Did you say "I bet $300" or just say "bet" and put the chips in? If you only said bet, then his argument is valid. If you said "I bet $300", then $300 is the bet.

If you're asking which one you want, I'd say keep the $300 because he seems uncomfortable with his hand, and wants to see his flush draw cheaply.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:33 PM

I thought about this a little more. I think there is a strong chance he has a marginal hand and is trying to show it down cheap by keeping the pot size small. There is also a remote chance he has a monster and is trying to manipulate you into betting strongly into him on the river.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Oh man...let me guess...

John?? Wears mirrored silver ray bans with slicked back hair and usually wearing a jacket at the table....

FWIW, He probably has QJ or KQ....Id let whatever ruling stand and bluff big at any river thats not a Q, A or 9, especially if he throws out a bet then just come over the top. Hes not calling some BS ruling on you w/ a set or 2 pr. If it is john, he could have AK and just be playing it cautiously but he still would probably fold on the river.

-JP
Old 07-21-2005, 10:18 PM

I would say the bet is $300. If he calls, fire a big bet on the river if it's a blank, and expect a fold.

ChewyMint
Old 07-21-2005, 11:12 PM

Oy. I have no idea why I'm using my time to answer this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1) House rules are THE rules. If you don't know the house rules, don't play.

2) Bet lines don't really exist. A bet is done through intention. This is subject to item #1.

3) If you verbally anounce "I'm betting" then you tell the dealer (within reason) when your bet is complete. Otherwise, you can say, "I bet $300", which works fine.

Barring that:

---

How should you conduct yourself in this situation? Easy. Don't move or say anything. Just sit there and wait for the dealer to continue the action or the floorman to make his decision. If the dealer continues the hand without the floorman present, you should stop the dealer before the turn card is put out and calmly ask, "Do you want to talk to the floorman or can we continue the hand?"

You should do this no matter what your hand is.

---

Edit: I've seen a dealer try to "take the law into his own hands" and have his decision overturned (after the hand was over) by the floorman.

--Dave.

re-edit: I don't generally verbalize my bets, either. I also stack them oddly (one stack of 6 rather than 2x3 chips, which apparently isn't correct... I guess I'll try to fix that)
Old 07-22-2005, 01:27 AM

I am not asking what people think about the merits of Villain's request for a ruling. I thought that this was obvious from the initial post.

I am interested in what, if anything, people think that I should say in response and how I should play the hand going forward.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 AM

dont bluff the river... he knows he just showed a ton of weakness. if a blank comes, it seems that you will most likely be able to check it down and win... if you get lucky and catch a Jo, id bet ~1200.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not asking what people think about the merits of Villain's request for a ruling. I thought that this was obvious from the initial post.

I am interested in what, if anything, people think that I should say in response and how I should play the hand going forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a confident smile... "clearly you and I both know its 300 to go... How could i let you draw at that flush for less"

however if it was me id just stfu and wait for the dealer or floor to rule.