Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 05:54 PM

Default 1st MTT post from a pooh-bah...please be gentle

I've recently ventured in the world of NL MTT's and NL SNG's from limit, playing low stakes to get my feet wet. Here's a recent situation I'd like some advice on.

5+1 MTT on Empire. Top 30 spots pay, 1st place pays $400+. We're at the 2nd break and I have T4454 in chips with the average stack at T4480. There are 58 players left.

Blinds are 200/400 and I get dealt 99 in the SB. There are 3 limpers including UTG. With T1800 in the pot I decide to go for a steal and push. The BB folds, and UTG calls with AA thus ending my tourney. Comments?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: 1st MTT post from a pooh-bah...please be gentle

Hey zulu:

Welcome to MTT.

The utg limp (depending on previous actions) can be a warning sign once the blinds get up a bit in relation to avg. stack. I don't think your play is bad here, it's just something to keep in mind (don't always see monsters under the bed).

I may have made it 1000 to go. If UTG flat calls, I start to worry. If he repops, then you can be done with the hand.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:04 PM

Making it 1000 here is the worst option i think. Your out of position and giving great odds to everyone else. I think if your stack was a little smaller i would push. As it is i would complete, and play the hand slowly. Pushing is not that bad, but because of your chip stack and the UTG limp, i don't like it as much.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently ventured in the world of NL MTT's and NL SNG's from limit, playing low stakes to get my feet wet. Here's a recent situation I'd like some advice on.

5+1 MTT on Empire. Top 30 spots pay, 1st place pays $400+. We're at the 2nd break and I have T4454 in chips with the average stack at T4480. There are 58 players left.

Blinds are 200/400 and I get dealt 99 in the SB. There are 3 limpers including UTG. With T1800 in the pot I decide to go for a steal and push. The BB folds, and UTG calls with AA thus ending my tourney. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my first post, so I don't know how to phrase this correctly, but I'll try. With 99 you want to raise to drive out any speculative hands, but perhaps the push wasn't the right amount. A pot sized raise should have taken it down if no one had a real hand, if you're called or reraised, you can still drop and have T2680 left. Not much in relation to the average stack and blind levels but better than busting out.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:08 PM

Bah, misread the level. Dire is right here - this is a push or call, leaning toward the call w/ the UTG limper.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:11 PM

AA/KK is around a lot in later stages with an under the gun limp. Very standard on line play. Make a note of those you see do it and beware. Don't kick yourself for pushing though. As it has been said already, you can't always be looking for monsters under the bed.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:12 PM

I like this push. I think this is a very easy play.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:13 PM

Sucks that UTG had AA but I prolly do the same, too many awful players at the 5+1 levels to draw anything from people limping from EP imo.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:21 PM

From what it looks like that is a great spot to steal a bunch of limpers money and possibly take a coinflip with ak or something similar.....But you always run the risk of running into a limpers aa or kk, it happens though..all in all i would consider it a good play
Old 06-23-2005, 06:23 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I think this is a very easy limp. I hate to hitch my tourney life to 99 versus all those people who **could** be limping with big hands. You have to remember that this is a lower buyin tourney, where people think its cute to do that.

In multiway pots like this, I play all the way up to JJ for set value. Call me weak tight if you must.

Nick