Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 07:56 AM

Default 5/5 at Ocean\'s -- I play bad

Been a while since I played NL, so I felt a bit rusty. Game is really really good, with three players on my right just spewing chips. I have to be willing to get all in with strong one pair hands against these guys, so I buy in short for $350 (max is 500). I've been pretty much folding for a half hour when this hand comes up:

My image is awful at this point, and after reading the Matt Flynn minraise post I decide to have some fun. Horrible player on my right limps, and I minraise with Q9h in MP1. My stack is 300 at this point. Almost everyone else at the table covers. Some people call behind me, SB calls, and BB isn't really paying attention and tries to check. He is an aggro asian guy with like 2500 in his stack, and likes to make moves. Dealer tells him it's five more. He looks very annoyed, and asks who raised. I smile and wave, and he says, "you raised?" He then proceeds to make it 80 more. Horrible player on my right calls.

This is where I start to get stupid and it doesn't get any better. I'm reasonably certain that BB has xx, but the horrible player calling threw me off. So I call. Bleh.

Flop is TT8r. BB bets out 125 in green chips. First time I've seen him bet anything but reds tonight, no matter how big the bet. I don't really know what this means. Horrible player folds, and it's on me. I'm cursing myself inside for not buying in for more so that I'd have some chips to come over the top of him. As it is I have 200, only 75 on top of his bet. So then I think for awhile, and decide that there's a good chance I have him high carded. If not, I think that my pair outs are good the majority of the time, and I have the gutshot. I don't have a backdoor flush. There's 400 in the pot and I'll be getting roughly 2.4:1 if I push all my chips in.

So I push the rest of my chips in since they would go in on the turn anyway, and he of course calls the extra 75.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: 5/5 at Ocean\'s -- I play bad

Wow you suck. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Betting the green chips means he knows he's going to get them back so doesn't mind putting them in the pot (at least that's what I think it means).
Old 02-07-2005, 10:11 AM

and less effort to put them out and take them back... hope it worked out.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:19 AM

I only play for small stakes online so take this for what it's worth. On one of Lederer's DVDs he demonstrates one of his favorite tells.

Someone in late position or in the blinds is not paying attention to the action and must be told by the dealer that it's his turn or the pot has been raised or something. If that player then raises he it NOT bluffing. Lederer goes on to say that this tell is nearly 100% reliable.

I never post on the mid-/high fourm but your description was a near match for Lederer's tell.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Re-raise all in preflop. Anyone?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:14 AM

There are a bunch of Asians there that think they are slicker then Olive oil. But almost everybody there (Ocean's 11) are just loosey goosies, playing anything to try and build big stacks.

Here is an actual play I've seen in O'11. MP1 raises 20, re-raises 40, MP3 raises to 80 and SB raises to $200. I look down at the BB and see that I have AA, so I shove my whole $600 stack in. Gets back to the SB and while he's deciding, I show him my AA, he calls with TT.

Or how about this Gem. UTG limps, MP1 limps, BB checks. Flop comes 655 and the BB pushes his whole stack for $400. Ends up he had AA and got fried when one of the limpers had T5s.

There are a few good players there, but they only play in the day time and rarely past 6:00 pm.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:06 PM

In that case, reraising all in with Q9s would probably not be the best plan. Fold and wait for a better spot. Re-buy to cover all of these nuts.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:12 PM

Your original raise is the problem there. I've played a bit at Oceans, and if you don't represent very strong there pre-flop, you are not going to get any respect... especially not from someone very very overstacked. In that situation, you needed to be able to lay off the hand unless you hit... you hit the ten there, you are obviously going to take everything. Pre-flop, if you call, you either hit and raise, or miss and fold. The other option is to raise preflop, triple the BB's bet to look like you are drawing him in with the small $5 raise with AA.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so I shove my whole $600 stack in. Gets back to the SB and while he's deciding, I show him my AA

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you do that? Did he have a much smaller stack than you?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:31 PM

Diablo: It's about a pot-sized reraise with the AA. Looks good to me.

The original poster: Yes you played bad. Fold preflop. If you are properly bankrolled for the game, buy enough to cover the table. Other, you should play smaller.