Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: cards flow hot and cold!!

The cards dont know if they are running good or bad so you need to learn to sit through those bad runs and the good ones too.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:15 AM

I am aware that you have to sit through the bad runs but finding bad opponents certainly helps your win rate. Every book I have seen tells you to sit to the left of the worse player, find tables that are loose, etc. That's because bad players and great cards are an awesome long run combination!

Tonight is a great example. I played 36 hands before getting called away. I was dealt AA, AK twice, KK, AJ and A8s (on the button) and finished 34 big bets ahead. I was lucky in the cards and I was lucky in the boards that hit but I was also lucky that I was at a table where two opponents would routinely cap preflop with Q7o or other garbage and then do things like cap the turn and fold the river. I figure the cards are good for about 14 bets and these maniacs were good for the other 20 bets I won.

That is what I meant about being better than your opponents.

PS. I like your pic but it made it hard to concentrate on your post!
Old 11-26-2005, 12:30 AM

davebwell,

good stuff!!

i actually have no complaints about cards running cold in low limit. no problem at all.... no-limit it absolutely kills to get rivered over and over again when you've often busted a bluff on the turn.

i basically won't play at a tight table. i'll just try to find another table and if not then i'll do some non-poker. luckily, loose passive is very common these days.

regarding positioning, i never thought of it that much until last B&M session i had a maniac on my left. very, very frustrating and this was ludicrous maniac....

and the absolute worst thing was that i didn't use the maniac to start the action on the river when i hit my good flushes. when i led out betting, the maniac sounded shocked and pulled his chips back (hadn't bet yet) and the others folded. if i check, the maniac bets, one or two follow (cause the maniac has no credibility), and i raise them. so it cost me 4-6 big bets of $12 each.... i'll know better next time but will i find another maniac like that very often.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:29 PM

My own hot-cold story that made me scratch my head: a few weeks ago when playing B&M low limit two nights in a row - First night down 34BB; second night, up 75BB.

The results were very different; I did try to evaluate my play a little bit from night 1 to night 2 - I started limping more pre-flop and not playing medium strength hands as aggressively. I'm sure the cards hit me a lot harder on night 2 as well.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My own hot-cold story that made me scratch my head: a few weeks ago when playing B&M low limit two nights in a row - First night down 34BB; second night, up 75BB.

The results were very different; I did try to evaluate my play a little bit from night 1 to night 2 - I started limping more pre-flop and not playing medium strength hands as aggressively. I'm sure the cards hit me a lot harder on night 2 as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for sharing that! i like posts like this. how people are actually winning or losing (as opposed to all these "what was he playing?").....

how many people saw flop on average? the 4-5 of your basic loose-passive.... yeah, i've got away from raising with tons of stuff and watch position closely (in any rules/limits etc. and mid-strength hands are death in looser games .

more appropriate comment to no-limit, but i have to get away from thinking checking is really weak. i see the pro's check constantly. although you need to check-raise occasionally to keep your opponents a little honest.

rivers have been really expensive as i mentioned and i know it's wrong as soon as $$$$ goes in (i know better, but i can't help myself)

low limit, it seems like the flush (and to lesser degree straight) are king.... no-limit, seems 3 of a kind is king.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly constantly reevaluating one's play against the fundamentals is a Very Good Thing. Nevertheless, there's a high probability that your change in fortunes was at least 90% attributable to better cards, not better play. (And more limping or passive play are not necessarily improvements, although depending on the situation both could well be appropriate -- without knowing specific hands it's impossible to say.)

That said, all of us should strive to always be learning, so that we see our results improve over longer samples.