Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 09:24 PM

Default If...

If God demanded you to sacrifice your son to him would you do so?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: If...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If god demanded it, it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice so yes.

chez
Old 12-10-2005, 09:28 PM

What do you mean?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
An all powerful, all knowing god with the gift of eternal happiness and damnation for me and my son asks for an insignificant action from me, what sacrifice?

The death of a loved one is only bad because its the end.

chez
Old 12-10-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will assume that the ingenious hoax and psychiatric disorder possibilities get completely ruled out. At that point, I would take advice as to whether some sort of malicious supernatural entity is attempting to deceive me. If I am absolutely persuaded it is God, the Christian God, well, denying him would be pretty -EV. Being only human (and especially prone to sympathy for the devil), I'd probably be pretty irritated.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will assume that the ingenious hoax and psychiatric disorder possibilities get completely ruled out. At that point, I would take advice as to whether some sort of malicious supernatural entity is attempting to deceive me. If I am absolutely persuaded it is God, the Christian God, well, denying him would be pretty -EV. Being only human (and especially prone to sympathy for the devil), I'd probably be pretty irritated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you be irritated? I'll take my son to be innoculated against disease without any problem - the amount of discomfort is insignificant in the scheme of things. Why would this 'sacrifice' be different?

chez
Old 12-10-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you be irritated? I'll take my son to be innoculated against disease without any problem - the amount of discomfort is insignificant in the scheme of things. Why would this 'sacrifice' be different?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get your son innoculated, the doctor doesn't keep the baby. That, plus residual doubt.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get your son innoculated, the doctor doesn't keep the baby. That, plus residual doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Suppose the doctor gets to keep the baby for an insignificant amount of time (say 0.0001% of lifespan).

chez
Old 12-10-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Suppose the doctor gets to keep the baby for an insignificant amount of time (say 0.0001% of lifespan).

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Side point: my residual doubt reason is not addressed by this.

Main point: suppose you see something yummy in front of you but you know it will spoil your appetite for an even better dinner later. You may restrain yourself from eating it but that doesn't mean you don't still want it. Frustrated desire leads to...
Old 12-10-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just go along with the OPs hypothetical. "God asked" so there is no doubt. Now, "a voice claiming to be god" ..that'd be a different question.