Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: What to do with my life (need advice bad)?

[ QUOTE ]
The idea of retiring at 35 is really appealing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Moreover, I don't even want money.I wouldn't know what to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2005, 08:22 PM

Just a little nitpick but he's not an investment banker, he's an S&T (sales & trading) analyst. Fairly big difference.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:07 AM

They are gonna put me in research, which has the most hours of S+T. But anyway as to your oringinal post.

I can't really play poker while working. The difference between 50-60 and 60-80 is big, but much more importantly I'm completely drained by the end of it. I tried playing the first two weeks, and I played real bad because I didn't have the energy. I've done things for 80 hours a week before when I enjoyed them, and it didn't feel hard at all. Somehow I think even if my hours were reduced I still might want to quit because I hate the work.

As for interpersonal relationships, that is a real problem for me right now. I'm not an investment banker. Investment banking is more then a job, its like a whole damn 24/7 personality. And it just isn't me. I never really got along with the other finance majors at school either. I can't see being friends with these people. This has been really tough for me.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:09 AM

I know a lot of IB guys worth a few million by 35 that keep working till they are 60. They can have 100 million dollars and they still want more. How many porches can one guy own.

If I had 2 or 3 million right now I would invest it and live modestly off the dividends so I would never have to work again ever.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:10 AM

Could you go into what has happened as a pro a little.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:18 AM

no repsonsibilities are fun, but when you actually have to play at least 2000 hands a day, it'll start to get at you.

also you said in 2 years you could be making 100k easy. making 100k when you are 24 is pretty damn good.

i went pro because there was nothing better. if someone offered me a investment banker job paying 55 the first 2 years and then maybe 100k after that, i'd take it instantly and go back to playing poker once a week.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:09 AM

Move to Canada and play poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 03:06 AM

Man....I'm 49 years old...one thing I know is life goes by fast. I love my work...can't imagine a kid getting stuck into something they hate. Poker might not work out but find something to do that you love.... even if it's making the popcorn at the movies. Money seriously is not as important as happiness...just my 2 bits
Old 11-13-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Read this

[ QUOTE ]
I talked to my parents about this and the gist of what they said is that life sucks. My best years are behind me, work is supposed to be totally miserable, and it won't change. Just suck it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Responses like this are why parents are sometimes the worst place to turn to with questions like yours. The very fact that they have had kids means that their perspective is skewed. More on this below.

You have an unusual amount of perspective for someone so young. This is good. As you are no doubt aware, many people your age are like so many lemmings in their dash along career paths long since predetermined. Everyone is in a hurry to become a doctor, lawyer, banker, management consultant, etc. etc. Prestige whores abound. They all believe that at the end of the indian trail lies infinite wealth, prestige and 77 virgins.

A lot of posts in this thread offer bad advice. Unless someone has worked in your industry, how can they possibly know whether it's a superior alternative to playing poker full-time? Similarly, older people are naturally going to be more inclined to say that the mature thing to do is keep your job. After all, positions like yours are hard to come by and many would kill--or at least suck a lot of dick--to be in your shoes.

I don't know what you should do. All I can do is give you some things to think about. Sometimes, it's not answers one is seeking, but questions. Figuring out the answers to these questions may help clear things up a little.

Do you remember this scene from Office Space?

PETER: Our high school guidance counselor used to ask us what you would do if we had a million dollars and didn't have to work. And invariably, whatever we would say, that was supposed to be our careers. If you wanted to build cars, then you're supposed to be an auto mechanic....

MICHAEL: No, you're working at Initech because that question is [censored] to begin with. If that quiz worked, there would be no janitors, because no one would
clean [censored] up if they had a million dollars.

This exchange is supposed to be humorous but we should all heed Peter's words. You know the saying: "Find a job you like and you won't have to work a day in your life."

I believe this should be everyone's goal. When you're a little kid adults ask you, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Somewhere along the way, people stop asking this question. We stop asking it of ourselves. Slowly, we find ourselves being pushed along one of several career paths society deems desirable because of their prestige, stability or average starting salaries. What nobody tells us is that these jobs [censored] suck.

By and large, there are two reasons someone keeps a job he hates: (1) Obligations such as young children or $200K in student loans; or (2) A lack of balls.

Everything changes when you have kids. Typically, you no longer define yourself by your career, but as a parent instead. You're willing to work from nine to five every day if it means your kids' futures are secure. You can tolerate the [censored] you go through at work if it means you can tuck your kids in at night, go to their games on weekends, see them grow up. You look forward to spoiling your grandchildren.

If you graduate under a mountain of debt you're pretty much forced to take the highest-paying job you can find. Only after you pay it down for a few years can you consider trying to become a diplomat as you've always dreamed.

What about everyone else? They hate their jobs but they don't know what else to do. Most people claim that money is their ultimate goal (whether this is true or not is a whole 'nother issue; we are products, after all, of a capitalist society). Well, if everyone wants to be rich there should be a hell of a lot more entrepreneurs. The fact of the matter is that most people are risk averse and/or lazy. They don't want to put in the work and are frightened by the prospect of bankruptcy. Most successful businessmen fail multiple times before building their fortunes.

Even if money isn't the goal, many are hesitant to pursue their dreams because they're afraid of what people will think. "Dude, you want to leave your job as an accountant at Deloitte to become a chef?!" "Yeah, he used to do M&A at Deutsche Bank but left to teach kindergarten. Probably couldn't hack it." "Tell me, son, how can you possibly be thinking about quitting? You're in line to become VP of Marketing!!"

What is it that you want out of life? Take your time in deciding. You'll probably end up changing your mind more than once. This is fine, and normal; at least you'll be thinking, and not marching mindlessly toward the cliff of prestige.

A lot of people like poker, myself included. But few like being poker players. Is it about more than the money? When people hear your name, do you want them to think, "Isn't he that poker guy?" Do you hope to appear at final tables on TV and play in the big game at the Bellagio with the likes of Daniel Negreanu? I know very few people who truly love being poker players. The ones who do tend to be much more successful than the ones who don't. They can play for hours on end in an effort to hone their games. They love testing themselves against world-class opponents. They get a thrill out of achieving notoriety in the poker community. They live to be recognized for their skills.

Most people play poker because they can make far more playing than they can doing anything else. There comes a point, though, when you have enough capital to become an entrepreneur. Keep enough of a bankroll to operate and go for a real score. But do they have the balls?

How badly do you want work in the game industry? Are you willing to go back to school and learn how to program? What other avenues can you take to break in? Is there anyone you can talk to to get a sense of what it's like?

Some logistical tips:

You can apply for other jobs on the down low. Many employers don't ask for references. If they do, you're the one who provides them, so if you can't find anyone you trust at work you just cross that employer off your list.

I would keep your job for however long the industry minimum is. How soon does attrition begin? Surely many people burn out and quit. If everyone tends to stay for at least two years, you may be assed out.

You don't necessarily need a shitload of your own money to start a business. Plenty of people borrow or find investors. All you need is a good business plan and a little charm. (Rich relatives don't hurt, of course.)

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:50 AM

you definetly should grind out your job to make sure they dont take your 10,000 bonus back. I think poker is very dark road if you don't start with a big enough bankroll to play in games that willl give you big enough salary to live comfortabley. i would continue to play semi pro on loose weekend games. and focus on job during week. build your bankroll to 500,000 in five years or ten years. you can play poker your whole life. with your analytical skills you can have a plan where you get good ev and with a bigger bankroll the profit will be worth it. you dont want to quit your job and play your 20,000. YOU WILL GET BURNT OUT ON POKER AT SOME POINT I GUARENTEE IT. SPEAKING AS SOMEONE WHO LOVES THE GAME JUST AS MUCH AS YOU. you worked to hard in college and school to sell out for poker. you can do poker in 10 years when you have built up a roll to make it worth your time. the current situation isnt enough money for a person with your skills and potential in life. please remember that kid in you who would not settle for anything but an A. Your A right now is choosing a sound career with options to make more like 250,000 a year plus. this is what you deserve and should shoot for. with dicipline, faith and god all things are possible. wopples Brooks Blake [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]