Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Why am I so wordy? (does Bob have Tourettes?)

All my life I have been EXTREMELY talkative/wordy.
Most on 2+2 know that this trend has continued into my online-posting life.

Why do I never shut-up? Why am I so wordy?

I'm 34 y.o. now and it seems pretty immature to always be yapping on and on and on, blah blah blah.
This is especially exaggerated when i've had caffeine.

Background -
18 y.o. - Voted most talkative in my H.S. class. An accomplishment that I took with great embarassment.
Getting in trouble for talking too much with friends...and also debating various ideas within the class.

23 yo - On a road-trip with friends: Wasn't aware (as usual) that I was talking so much.
Girl turns around and says, "Geez...I bet you couldn't go 5 damn minutes without speaking."
Naturally I shut-up for the next hour..but her point was made and it wasn't the first time someone had confronted me.

Career - Prior to poker I was a radio-sportscaster for minor-league and college sports.
I would frequently work without a broadcast partner.
Talking and talking all on my own through an entire 6-hour long Florida State League double-header was never much of a problem for me.

Current - I never shut up on 2+2 as you all probably know.

Recently - I had a very dramatic situation regarding my love-life.
While most would not be inclined to share such a situation with a bunch of internet-posters (and may even shut themselves out to their friends about it too) my inclination was to write a freaking novel about it in OOT.

I got some good (and some not so good) advice over there....
but much of the therapeutic value was just unloading all my thoughts in some incredibly long and rambling posts.
And I mean REALLY REALLY long.

Ideas -
Did my mommy not pay enough attention to me?
I distinctly remember times when she was blowing me off or not listening.
But this is more likely a situation of her just not being able to CONSTANTLY pay attention to the non-stop ramblings of her chatter-mouth 5 year-old kid.

Tourettes Syndrome??
I'm not kidding. Have never looked it up on the internet and perhaps I should. But I believe I may have a low-grade variety of tourettes that has gone undiagnosed.

I have many facial-type ticks. Lots of eye-blinking and nose-twitches, etc. Not everyone notices but I also think they aren't as severe as before.
I used to have one twitch for 6 months and then it would change and go somewhere else.
A kind of nose-twitch I had through the spring/summer when I was 18 had everyone joking that i looked like a damn bunny-rabbit.

There HAVE been times when I've been driving alone or at the grocery-store or something where I actually will mutter/blurt something like, "f'ck them all" or "i hate them" or "die" or something and I'll have no idea where it came from.

not very often...but it happens.
In my 20's I might have this happen 3-4x a week. Occasionally more than once in a single day.
Now I think it's proably just one blurt every 2-4 weeks or so.

It's not very loud...and usually when I'm not with anyone else.
So thankfully I've never been walking down the sidewalk and just randomly shouted "Douche-Bag!!!" at someone (unless I'm walking past Phil Hellmuth of course).

a professional marriage-counselor that my ex-wife and I saw speculated that i might have Osberger's syndrome which I really didn't get around to studying either.
I think Bobby Fischer is believed to have it among others.
It's kinda/sorta related to autism I believe.

I don't know how 'normal' tourettes works but I guess their filter to not blurt out the things they do is just somehow messed up.

Well...perhaps my filter to just shut the hell up is somehow similarly broken.