Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Back to poker... I still suck

Hand 1: PF isn't thin at all IMO. Flop is super close. Having MP behind us is worrisome. I'd call though. I'm inclined to 3-bet the river.

Hand 2: That's fine

Hand 3: You have to be careful with this kind of situation on the flop. KQ is in the range of all of your opponents and UTG could also have AQ which is a killer too. Not to mention that you're splitting here a lot. I would probably play the flop as you did. If SB had called the flop and lead the turn, I would muck it if I hadn't hit.

Hand 4: fine

BTW did you forget how to post reads during your layoff?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:50 AM

Hand 1: Preflop is good IMO. Flop is the closest part of the hand; I like the call though. If I 3-bet the river I would hate to call the cap, AA/KK fairly likely.

Hand 2: Would we be giving up too much if we just check called that river. MP's play is screaming high PP and without a read its hard to tell if he will overplay JJ or TT or if this is definately AA or KK.

Hand 3: Not much you can really change about it.

Hand 4: I cant see much that you are beating here and the fold looks good to me. Sometimes I cant control myself and I call down although I rarely win.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:36 AM

I don't like hand 3. You didn't have any initiative and it is conceivable that villian won the hand unimproved. The way you played it you could only take it down if you hit, plus you could have split or even still lost if you hit. For that reason I like a flop raise. If UTG whiffed he's going to be in a sore spot there and a 3bet from him could signify real strength enabling you to get away cheaply.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:48 AM

i don't think you'll ever be able to steal a pot with Q high unimproved on a 9TJ board with 3 opponents.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 AM

Sometimes I like to c/r the flop in hand one, if the pfr is weak and won't automatically showdown ace high on a board like this.
Don't bet the river the way this went down in hand 2. The way that played out what with his call-turn raise you're really screwed.
I usually end up like you did in hand 3 and feel violated afterwards.
Unless the guy is a huge aggro I really feel like you're almost never winning in hand 4 and you may or may not have outs so it's an easy fold. The guy is showing big strength the way he played this hand and you don't even have top pair.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:01 PM

Hand 1, you take 7-1 on a gutshot + backdoor (I dont consider the 9 an out)... out of position, with players left to act... on a paired board. No one else disagrees with this call?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7, 9. Hero posts a blind of $3.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

(edit) Wait, are you the BB here and the hand is just screwed up? I guess that makes more sense.

(re-edit): I see you pointed this out in the hand already! nevermind.

Hand 1: I think I would give some consideration to a 3-bet here. I think he has often just has 2-pair and thinks we're bluffing or doing a wa/wb line. The rest is good

Hand 2: I would probably have just c/c'd the river though, but the b/c seems reasonable too.

Hand 3: Pf is a bit marginal but the rest is okay, not much you can do here but chase

Hand 4: I think you can peel here and consider calling a river bet especially with position where we can close the action.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP's play is screaming high PP and without a read its hard to tell if he will overplay JJ or TT or if this is definately AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing for everyone to consider on Hand 2, is that MP is all in on the turn. CO has done a lot of cold calling and is now pumping the pot.

FWIW, I put MP on a big PP, probably bigger than mine. On the turn, CO looked like a 5. But the 5 on the river makes that much less likely. I bet/called because I didn't want to c/r and have to call a 3bet.