Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: New Orleans: What an embarassment

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luckily, President Chimpy is in Mobile, AL right now having a "made-for-TV" conference with some of the folks leading the rescue operations. Chimpy looks confused (as per usual), but thank God and Jesus that the other conferees are telling Chimpy what a great job he has been doing in responding to this disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread was borderline in the first place, but this post has no place here in OOT. Go to politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please move my post to the Politics forum. Thank you.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I give you our next President.

No [censored] way this kind of thing happens on his watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to admit that Guiliani did what needed to be done.

Meanwhile, this guy should resign:

C Ray Nagin, Mayor of New Orleans

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more about the mayor of NO. What is the guy supposed to do? Members of his police force are resigning en masse. The fed gov't is doing a horrible job of providing relief to the victims. The citizens are in a desperate situation living without food and water, yet the feds do next to nothing to alleviate the situation.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luckily, President Chimpy is in Mobile, AL right now having a "made-for-TV" conference with some of the folks leading the rescue operations. Chimpy looks confused (as per usual), but thank God and Jesus that the other conferees are telling Chimpy what a great job he has been doing in responding to this disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread was borderline in the first place, but this post has no place here in OOT. Go to politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get off yer high horse. Half the thread is political. But I guess it's Ok to attack anyone aside from Chimpy.

Marlow
Old 09-02-2005, 12:08 PM

When the Mayor and Governor stated on tv that the main focus was to rescue as many folks as possible and that they weren't going after the looters, that opened the floodgates.

NO is by far the poorest "big city" and now you see what they have been trying to hide for ages.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:08 PM

I just think its kind of dumb that on 9/11 most of america holds hands and sings "we are the people" but when something like this happens, which could very well be looked at as a worse disaster as a whole, everybody could care less about each other. Granted 9/11 was a different kind of feeling, but as far as disaster goes, i feel this is much more catestrophic.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think its kind of dumb that on 9/11 most of america holds hands and sings "we are the people" but when something like this happens, which could very well be looked at as a worse disaster as a whole, everybody could care less about each other. Granted 9/11 was a different kind of feeling, but as far as disaster goes, i feel this is much more catestrophic.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is particularly disturbing.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between 9/11 and this, is that joe blow in california was scared for his life during 9/11 because terrorists can potentially attack anywhere, joe blow in cali doesnt give a [censored] about some natural disaster in NO because he isnt at risk. People only care about things that affect them. The same can be said for the actual poeple involved. People in NY during 9/11 felt "under attack", so that fear remained. Your looter in NO knows the storm is over and as such isnt worried his life is in danger anymore.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:18 PM

Hurricanes and Forest fires damaging property is a relatively new phenomenon simply because of government subsidies have allowed people to move to the coast (new within the last 35 years) and likewise in CA with forest fires. While you cannot just leave New Orleans dismantled moving the horde of people back there isn't a great idea either. For anyone interested in this sort of phenomenon (living in particularly hazardous areas) read 'Ecology of Fear'
~Justin
Old 09-02-2005, 12:19 PM

And i guess it could be pointed out that the looters in NO are not really in the same "class" as most of the people affected by 9/11. I find it hard to belive that guys working on wall street would be rushing out to loot a new tv at a time like that.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get enough poverty stricken people together, take away their homes, food, water and the few belongings they have and people get desperate, it generally isn't something you can blame on the residents, they are fighting for their lives here.
~Justin