Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Life a thousand years from now?

[ QUOTE ]

is that why u think this is a serious topic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think Im meeting all the criteria: alcohol,bitches, and actual question. Am I missing something [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever watch futurama? Watch it, all your questions will be answered.

My favorite thing is that there will be a baseball league where steroids are mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite is that almost everything will be made to hover, and not for any particular reason. Just because ...well, stuff in the future hovers, that's all.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:23 PM

Well, I guess I will be odd and not post a sarcastic/comedy/flip answer. Obviously, no one can predict acurately what the world will be like in 1,000 years, but what is wrong with speculating?

I think in within the next couple hundred years, mankind will be hit with a super-virus (probably engineered) that will kill a couple billion of us at least.

Assuming we recover from that without most of the planet going up in flames, here's how I see life 1,000 years from now:

People with enough money will be able to live as long as they want, barring a severe accident. The advancements in genetics and medicine will be able to keep your body going for hundreds of years. However, the mind will be a different matter. I think once people start living past a couple hundred years, we will start to see new psychological problems arise from that. I doubt anyone could live more than 500 years without going insane.

Genetic engineering will change society forever. The people with money will be smarter, healthier, and live longer. This will help them become even wealthier and stay in control of the wealth. This will allow them to improve themselves even more. This leads to an ever-increasing gulf between those with wealth and those without, even becoming so pronounced that the poor slobs who have no access to technology are looked at as inferior beings, like we would view a neanderthal man. The enhanced people will have nothing to do with them. Without activists standing up for those people, they may be relegated to little more than slaves.

We will not have explored space very much at all. Faster-than-light travel still remains a dream. We will probably have small settlements on the Moon and on Mars, but for scientific research purposes mainly, like the current outposts in Antarctica.

We will still not made contact with any extra-terrestrial beings. The galaxy is just too vast, requiring immense amounts of resources and energy to travel anywhere, for us or them.

Religion will still be around in various forms, probably some that have not changed much at all.

The human population will probably be much smaller than now, but we will surely still be here. No matter what disaster or war happens, it would be damn near impossible to wipe everyone out.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:30 PM

Computer evolution will begin where humanity's ends. There probably won't be any humans in the organic sense in 1000 years.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:31 PM

I sincerely hope there will be no human life in 1000 years.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:35 PM

Nature magazine, or Discovery, whatever, had an article a couple of months ago about what live would be like in a thousand years or whatever if man wasn't around anymore.

They mentioned the effect of lots of major environmental things going haywire, like nuclear plants melting down and poisoning huge swaths of land, including the courses of rivers . They also mentioned dams bursting, and vegetation cracking sidewalks and streets, and gas and water mains, further destroying streets etc. They had a lot to say about the cracking of sidewalks and such making streets cave in.

They also said something I found interesting. Cockroaches are originally an African and Asian insect, and without all the man-made heating, they would die out not long after man perished. Rats would die out too, they say, at least the species in our cities.

It was a cool article. Can't remember any more specifics about it, but it was only a couple/few months ago.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:36 PM

I find it interesting that you've envisioned a dystopia, much like many sci-fi writers nowadays. However, humanity up to this point has neither approached a utopia nor dystopia. Too many of these futures place too much importance on the virtual concept of wealth. There simply is no replacement for sheer human numbers though, barring the advent of real AI (which will signify the end of human life). Maybe I've just read too much cyberpunk.

I think the chance of humans not being around in 5000 years is enormous.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:38 PM

Gas will cost $23,995.99 a gallon.

Nothing else will change.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:42 PM

I wonder what kind of governmental structures they'll have. Does anyone see our representative gov't by those who are not too lazy to vote lasting that long, especially in happy hour's genetically-altered future?

They may return to slavery indeed.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:54 PM

I agree that if we are still around then everyone will be able to live much longer. Here is an article where a geneticist talks about humans being able to live to a 1000 years old, and he talks about having the technology in only 25-50 years.
Geneticist article
The article is to short and doesnt really say that much though, but it is still interesting to think your kids or grandchildren could live to be 900 years older than you.