Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Was I doomed to lose all my chips on this hand?

I want to know if I played this hand correctly, or if I was doomed to lose all my chips.

4 players left in an 18 player tournament, 6 players per table. Top 3 get paid. Blinds are 300/150. I'm the chip leader by 700 chips or so (9k in chips). Up to this point the table has been pretty tight given that we're one person off from making money, and I've been able to take down a few pots with bluffs.

I raise 900 from button with TT after villain limps, everyone folds to villain who calls. I have only about 700 or so more chips than the villain, so we're about even (about 9k chips each, 8k after the raise/call).

Flop comes KK7r. He checks, I raise 1k in a 2150 pot, hoping to take it down with a continuation bet. After a very long delay, he calls. Next card is J. He checks. I check. River comes T. Villain bets 1000 chips. I raise to 3000 hoping he has a K and was slow playing. He re-raises all-in, exactly what I was hoping for, and I call. He turns over KJ to take down the pot with the nut full house. This leaves me crippled and I'm gone 2 hands later.

Typically I just move on and figuring "bad luck." But this has been happening to me a lot more. I'm wondering if I'm playing my hands wrong. I bet on the river (or raise) only to get re-raised by a better hand and I lose all my chips.

So in short, if anyone can evaluate this particular hand and tell me if I played it wrong, or if I could have done something different, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Was I doomed to lose all my chips on this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the chip leader by 700 chips or so

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Was I doomed to lose all my chips this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking no?

But yeah you were doomed. It's a waste of time to think about this hand. You're never getting away from this with these stack sizes, just never. Forget it and move on.

Everett
Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 PM

If he bets the turn, you can get away from it maybe.

But yeah, you played it fine.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:51 PM

Raise more preflop. After a limper, 3X the big blind rarely gets the job done. If you make it 1200 here, he might fold his KJ. Flop and beyond looks fine. If I had a read that this guy was a tight or passive player (or always slowplayed monsters), I'd consider just calling the river bet.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:54 PM

dont use titles like this. keep the results hidden until there's some discussion. Oh, and you obviously know the answer to your question.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:06 PM

When the blinds are smaller (early to mid tournament) I raise 4x BB. But when the blinds are this big, I hesitate to raise so much given the size of the blinds compared to my chip stack. Generally speaking, at this point in the tournament it's all-in for the shorter stacks if they decide to call the 900 raise.

Also I've raised 3x BB a few times earlier and taken it down without a fight. So I didn't really think about raising any more at the time.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:45 AM

Did you think he had a K to begin with after the flop? If so, you maybe should have laid down being way behind post flop. Granted the river helped you but really it helped villian even more by giving you a monster worth showing down. The C-bet was good, but his call should have set off the alarms in your head. Just MHO.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you think he had a K to begin with after the flop? If so, you maybe should have laid down being way behind post flop. Granted the river helped you but really it helped villian even more by giving you a monster worth showing down. The C-bet was good, but his call should have set off the alarms in your head. Just MHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, his slow call could be a king, but it could also be 66-99.
The turn was checked through.
Are you advocating a call on the river from Hero? A fold to the all-in? Both those options are pathetically weak.
Villain had the only hand (he's not limp-calling with JJ) that could beat Hero. There's no getting away from this.