Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Starting off in micro limits

Bit of background before the question: I’ve been playing funny money for a few months and using it to get a feel for the game and practice working out odds for a draw, pot odds etc etc. Have read and re-read (and am still re-reading) Jones' Winning Low Limit. Play about 10 hours a week on Pacific. Just one table at a time and I’m so freaking tight it’s ridiculous. I don’t play poker so much as watch other people play…

Now I’m moving on to micro limits. Not sure which site yet (any suggestions will be most welcome), but nothing over 5c/10c games (and maybe even 1c/2c to get my feet wet).

I’ve read constantly that at micro limits every man and his dog is there for the flop and most of the table will run to the river as long as the dealer gave them two cards. As that is pretty much the way the funny money games are played, am I going to be (hopefully) just adjusting my game a little playing on the nickel and dime tables or (God forbid) starting my learning experience all over?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Starting off in micro limits

If you're a winning player with funny money, you should be fine at the micro-limits. Since it's useless to try to fold people out of a pot, it's all about making the best hand and getting value out of it.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:32 AM

Poker Stars is probably the best place to start building your micro LHE bankroll.

a) they have a gradual scale of limits going from 2c/4c, 5c/10c to 25c/50c

b) they do not rake any pot below $5. I believe this is the only site that does this (everyone else rakes micros starting at $1, if not earlier).

c) micro players are still loose on Poker Stars, but perhaps not insanely so. definitely a step up from play money.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:21 PM

I was where you are a couple of months ago. Suggest you get Miller's SSHE book - IMO the Jones book does not teach the aggressive play need to be successful at higher levels.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:54 PM

I don't know how much longer it's going to last, but get a rake-back deal before you create your Party Poker account(s).

I didn't and wish I had.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:39 PM

I agree with playerare that Stars is the place to start. I have outlined what I think is a good bankroll building strategy: here.

Good luck. Oh, and post some hands on the micro board.

The Lee Jones book is a pretty good place to start, but at some point you want to get the Ed Miller book.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:49 AM

Another vote for stars. When I get the chance to play online, that's where I usually play these days.

Paradise has micro-limit HE starting at 0.02/0.04 as well, and the games are loose, but they have no micro-limit Omaha. Currently, I'm finding the mirco O/8 games on Stars to be particularly juicy. I'm still playing with the free $2 Paradise gave me. I traded $5 on Paradise with a friend for $5 on Stars and am working my way up on both sites.

I don't yet have the bankroll for Party. Perhaps after grad school...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:34 AM

Should a beginner start off with no-limit or stick to limit first?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:22 AM

almost definitely limit.

in fact, definitely limit.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:57 PM

First, congrats on moving out of the kiddie pool and moving up to playing for real money! I have played the micro-micros (.02/.04 and .05/.10) for several months now to get a hang of hold em and it has drastically improved my game. I also have read Lee Jones' WLLHE several times and recently Ed Miller's new book. I recently made the jump to playing .50/1.00 and have faired well so far. You can stay on Pacific but as you knopw you can only one table, and as you are just starting off I recommend you stick to one tabling till you get to a safe comfort level. My brother still plays on Pacific and consistenly is making between $5 and $10 per session at .05/.10. Just play solid poker...ie be selective in your starting hands relative to position and be agressive enough when you have a great hand. If you desire to move then I recommend Stars.