View Poll Results: Who will win?
New England 59 80.82%
Philadelphia 14 19.18%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: order status

[ QUOTE ]
Ten,
In regards to the "linen-finish" over the inlays: while I think it is a great idea to make any home sets' inlay art-work last many lifetimes - there's a chance that it could really affect the detail of the art work. My Mirage chip has a "low-bumpy" linen feel - which leaves pretty good visible detail, but I have a Flamingo Hilton chip that has a very "high-bumpy" finish that would GREATLY affect the detail of our chosen artwork. On my Paulson samples the inlay itself is really "stuck" on there well and has some kind of coating over the inlay area... one would think that that finish would wear very well under most home game situations for a lifetime. Another give and take situation to think about I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a great point - since our images are very detailed, a raised linen finish with cross hatching may affect the way the chips look as it does now on the screen (which would represent open vinyl?).
Old 03-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: order status

I dont know if a lot of you have gotten the JB samples lately but the label in the center has a hard plastic finish on it. I took a knife and scraped at it and took a couple strokes before I got to the design in the center, I like the idea of the linen finish somewhat but just dont know how they would achieve that in the current process that they are using. I dont know the process but there are obviosly some plastic layers before teh design.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Artwork Fees

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ten,

I'm not a computer artist or drafting person so maybe you or J5 can explain why Trademark needs $1,650 to do artwork that has been substantially completed already?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not really charging for "art" per se. Its really a charge for setup. I don't know the exact process, but someone needs to adapt our computer files to their machine to do printing.

Ten

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand setup fees to fabricate a new mold for chips, but the whole idea of "art/setup" charges for the design seems ridiculous when you have the design done yourself. By setup fees, do they mean converting the photoshop files to illustrator and then hit PRINT on the machine?!? I think people need to realize that the inlay is nothing but color laser print on vinyl (or some form of quality paper).

Just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Ten....I think it is important to see just exactly what the artwork fee entails. If it's just a matter of file conversion, I am sure that any number of participants on this board could do the work easily for free, myself included. If they are not willing to negotiate this fee....and their markup....with the guarantee of an exclusive on this excellent chip design, then I am sure that some other wholesaler/retailer would jump at the opportunity.

Keep pursing this matter with them.....and keep up the good work.

Also, FWIW......I am another apparent minority of persons who prefers the traditional circular label design.

Randy
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ten,

I'm not a computer artist or drafting person so maybe you or J5 can explain why Trademark needs $1,650 to do artwork that has been substantially completed already?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not really charging for "art" per se. Its really a charge for setup. I don't know the exact process, but someone needs to adapt our computer files to their machine to do printing.

Ten

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand setup fees to fabricate a new mold for chips, but the whole idea of "art/setup" charges for the design seems ridiculous when you have the design done yourself. By setup fees, do they mean converting the photoshop files to illustrator and then hit PRINT on the machine?!? I think people need to realize that the inlay is nothing but color laser print on vinyl (or some form of quality paper).

Just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Ten....I think it is important to see just exactly what the artwork fee entails. If it's just a matter of file conversion, I am sure that any number of participants on this board could do the work easily for free, myself included. If they are not willing to negotiate this fee....and their markup....with the guarantee of an exclusive on this excellent chip design, then I am sure that some other wholesaler/retailer would jump at the opportunity.

Keep pursing this matter with them.....and keep up the good work.

Also, FWIW......I am another apparent minority of persons who prefers the traditional circular label design.

Randy

[/ QUOTE ]

The setup fees are not charged by Trademark, they are from Paulson directly. It's normal and expected, same with all chip manufactures. These setup charges are not extravagant; I've been quoted similar prices from many manufacturers, and actually been charged twice personally by Chipco.

There will be little chance in negotiating the setup fees. We can't have "one of us" do the conversion, because it's done by whoever feeds the printer (or lithograph, or whatver they use) at Paulson. If it could be done by one of us, then J5 would just do it, he's completely capable.

It'd be great to get a reduction in setup fees, and I will ask about it, but don't get your hopes up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ten
Old 03-18-2005, 12:34 AM

having printed flyers, posters, cd covers locally.

In terms of art setup... When you have anything printed for you at a print house, they always charge a 'setup' fee. what exactly that entails i dont know and it depends on the type of priter they output on BUT no matter what media type you give your art work in, there is always a 'setup' fee. So if their 'setup fee' is only a convertion files into the format they want, they still charge setup fees. even if anyone of us here with photoshop etc can do it.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Pharaoh\'s Club Paulson chips - Pre-Order Thread

So I finally got some samples home today, it took a while but really what can I expect living in Sweden??.. However the feel is fantastic and I love the edge spots. These chips are so much better when they're in your hand than on pictures. Just wish that shipping wouldn't be so damn expensive, and on top of that I have to pay tax to get them into the country.. that sucks! However if 10% want to do the paypal trick they could be sent as a gift from him and therefore I wouldn't have to pay ekstra money to get the chips home =) In that case I'm almost certain I'll be in for at least 500.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:41 AM

Default Re: dirty chip pics. large images.

I can see how these chips get really filthy after playing around with them.. Think a good idea would be to command everyone who wants in on a home game to wash their hands before playing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Pharaoh\'s Club Paulson chips - Pre-Order Thread

For whoever was wondering whether the edge-spots go all the way through the chip, heres your answer:

I received my Paulson James Bond sampler from Apache yesterday, and this chip broke during shipping. Both primary and spot colors aren't merely dyed on but are integrated into the clay, so scrub away.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:59 AM

Default How is the \"promise to pay\" response coming along?

Ten,

I know the form is non-binding but I am curious how well the promise to pay numbets are coming along. I added a plug for your design over at my blog. Hopefully, that can bring in a few more interested parties.

Keep up the good work.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: How is the \"promise to pay\" response coming along?

[ QUOTE ]
Ten,

I know the form is non-binding but I am curious how well the promise to pay numbets are coming along. I added a plug for your design over at my blog. Hopefully, that can bring in a few more interested parties.

Keep up the good work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link V. Our numbers are at about 30,000 right now.

Ten