Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 09:14 PM

Default AKo capped preflop HU with position and missed the flop.

Paradise Poker 1-2. No reads, sorry I don't have Pokertracker, villian is an unknown, but he is folding more than the others at the table and seems to be "just right" tight.

UTG calls, AC raises with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], MP1 fold, MP2 fold, CO fold, Button fold, SB fold, BB reraises, UTG fold, AC caps, BB calls.

FLOP: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, AC raises, BB reraises, AC calls.

TURN: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, AC folds......

Is this standard?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: AKo capped preflop HU with position and missed the flop.

You pumped the pot on the flop just to throw away a hand that probably has 6 outs. I don't like it much at all to be honest. I would probably call it down right off the flop unless some really scary cards come off.

So what I'm getting at is that if you are going to play it this way, you have to call the turn bet getting like 8.5:1. At any rate, I'm putting exactly 2.5 BB into this pot postflop unless I improve and even if I do I might only put that much in. You only invested 1.5 BB which isn't enough imo.

Brad
Old 03-02-2005, 11:51 PM

I like the flop raise, see if you can get a free turn or showdown or something...once he 3-bet I call it down or fold depending on reads...is this wasting too much money?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:28 AM

Bump

Need more info.

I definitely shouldn't fold this flop, that would be absurd.... right?

Or should I?

Calling to the river seems...wrong.

AC is confused. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Cap preflop? Even here AC is unsure. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 07:37 AM

Calling down unimproved is your best option here. Raising the flop serves no purpose at all, and the pot is too big to fold anywhere when you combine the chance you're ahead with your outs.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 AM

I'm not crazy about the pre-flop cap, but that's a small mistake. The free card play attempt on the flop was a good idea, given that your read on villain was tight-passive (is that accurate?). Folding the turn in bad news here - Our guy could very easily have TT-QQ, AK, AQ, AJs or something, in which case we are drawing very live and at least splitting the pot. You have to call the turn. Fold the river UI.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:57 AM

preflop cap is a little strong for my liking, especially against the one opponenet at the table who seems to have a clue. getting about 8:1 on the turn the fold isn't terrible. if you have all 6 outs you need to get 7:1. given the action, it seems possible that you may not have all six outs or any at all. of course, you could be up against QQ, giving you all six. i don't think JJ or TT gets played as strongly as this hand was, unless he's seen you cap w/ AK or TT or other hands along those lines before. All that being said, i agree with shill that i call the three bet preflop, and pretty much go into call down mode.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:05 AM

The turn fold sucks - there's a great chance all of his six outs are still live. I also think there's a great chance that TT or JJ gets played by villain this way - this is exactly what I would do here with TT and JJ. Three bet PF to try and get HU with the PF raiser. Hope he has AK and that one of those cards doesn't hit. On a board like this one, TT or JJ is in the driver's seat until they catch significant heat.

There is, of course, also the very real possibility of our man being up against pocket aces or kings. But those are the only two hands you could put villain on that beat us if we hit our draw - and we crack kings if we spike our ace.

I also want to disagree with myself from the earlier posting I made - you should probably call UI on the river. It's possible, though extremely unlikely, that villain is overplaying a hand that we beat.