Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:55 AM

Default AK is the devil in satellites

ok, hand background. I dropped down to 1k quite early with aces losing, then got a lot of big pairs and sets and racked them up to the 16k area, then lost a coinflip+overlay with AKs. I still have stolen a lot, especially recently. Carl has gone from 1k much later to near a 20k stack, and has liberally been stealing, restealing, etc etc. He was recently caught a few times. Even with both of us being active there have been only a couple pots with both of us, one where carl gets away from an overpair and I double with an overset, the others where I CC on the co/button with small pairs type stuff. Soooo, in carl's spot, how are you playing this?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t6688)
UTG (t14230)
UTG+1 (t15298)
Colson (t11641)
MP2 (t2440)
CO (t11185)
Hero (t10307)
SB (t15283)

Preflop: Hero has cards, colson has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Colson raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font> Colson's plan here is...

edited for a couple details
Old 11-03-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Re: AK is the devil in satellites

Raise to 5500-6500 is sexy.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 AM

Have you been re-stealing from each other?

If I'm Carl and I see you button raise, then I'm probably discounting the smaller pairs since you seem to like to call with them when in position, so you can keep me in the lead.

I probably put you on a middle pair 88-QQ or AK/AQ, where you think you have best hand given my *ahem* liberal opening standard.

I think if you had AA/KK you wouldn't raise that much PF (maybe w/ KK), because you don't want to drive me away.

I think I call and fire on any flop that missed me, but hopefully is scary to you if you have a medium pair, and c/r any flop that hit me.

That line is pretty predictable, but practical.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-03-2005, 10:52 AM

Is this a supersat or a 1 seat sat? If the former how far are you from the seats?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think if you had AA/KK you wouldn't raise that much PF (maybe w/ KK), because you don't want to drive me away.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I've been thinking alot about as I've moved up in the ranks and been playing against most of the best tournament players you'll find on the internet. When playing against someone like Carl or Bugstud I think the idea is to represent weakness when very strong and vice versa. This is why I suggested Carl reraise to 5500ish because Bugstud will see that as major strength and play accordingly.

Another instance of this was from last Sunday's $109R on Stars. 800/1600, HoldEM_NL (T55k), who is just a monster and is probably one of the best tournament players you'll find, opens in MP to 4800. I'm right behind w/ QQ and 28k in my stack. If I make a reraise to 13-16k here I'm showing major strength and might let him off the hook with a hand like 99-JJ. However, I decided to move all in to give the appearance of a hand like 77-99 or AK/AQ that didn't really want any action. He called w/ JJ after a long think and I now had a huge stack.

I guess the point is that when you play against people who play very well, you have to do things in a manner that is not completely readable. I think if Bugstud has AA/KK here, he picked a great raise size. In fact, I think he picked a good raise size pretty much regardless of his holding.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a supersat or a 1 seat sat? If the former how far are you from the seats?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is the PCA saturday tournament, like 10 people get seats.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:00 PM

I would call since he has position post flop.

If you were on the button and the same action went down, I would consider folding.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would call since he has position post flop.

If you were on the button and the same action went down, I would consider folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Bugstud the button in this hand?

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-03-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I suggested Carl reraise to 5500ish because Bugstud will see that as major strength and play accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if Bug flat calls the rasie and the flop is ragged, I think you still have to lead out all in due to the pot size, and what you have behind right?

I'm not sure what the re-pop PF does in this case.

Are you trying to get him to lay down the medium pairs PF?

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-03-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to get him to lay down the medium pairs PF?

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. I mean if Carl were to raise to 5500 or so then bug would have to be really worried that Carl has a big pair here and would almost certainly let go of a lot of 88-JJ hands either preflop or when Carl pushes the flop.