Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Pocket Pairs

Say you have limped in with 66 with 2 or 3 typical Party .25/.50 players 30-50 vpip agro < 1. The flop misses you and it's checked around, is this an automatic raise?

I certainly raise if my pp is 1st or 2nd pair but my fear with raising the other kind of flop, when you are 3rd or 4th pair, is the calling station. Is this, as always, too read specific to talk about?

Same situation and it comes around 1 bet to you, does anyone see a point to raising this bet in hopes of getting a free turn card? Every time this situation comes up I think about this play and wonder if it is too read specific to generalize? Normally, I'll pay one bet to see the turn with a pp if the board isn't coordinated, and fold to two bets. If I'm in after a PFR on someone and the board is low and uncoordinated I'm likely to c/c down the big ace.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Pocket Pairs

You mean is it an autoraise if you've got the button? I'd rather peel for a six myself--you ain't shaking them and you'll still be left wondering if they hit. Really, you wouldn't be too wrong to play 66-22 and maybe even 77 strictly for set value in a typical multiway pot.

Raising for a free card is absurd--you wouldn't be getting odds to draw two cards even if it worked every time.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:01 PM

I check if there's no bet and fold unless I'm magically getting 22:1 on my money.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:01 PM

My personal philosophy on these small pairs is that I'm playing for a set. Unless I"m heads up w/ only 1 opponent, I'm checking/folding. If you get the chance to see the turn for free, say "Merry Christmas to me" and enjoy.