Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 01:55 AM

Default tricky (?) villain HU

Villain here is Rigged14 for anyone who wants to know (is that taboo?).

My stats on him are 20/17/3.5+. I find he's very aggressive in pots that he's in. I have only 175 hands on him and he has position on me at this table. He knows I've been 3-betting his raises semi-frequently. We've warred maybe 2-3 times HU and I haven't lost yet.

I can't quantify how I feel about him, only that I don't trust him if you know what I mean.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB

I think I'm good on the river the % I need for it to be slightly profitable. Thoughts?

M
Old 10-03-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: tricky (?) villain HU

[ QUOTE ]
Villain here is Rigged14 for anyone who wants to know (is that taboo?).

My stats on him are 20/17/3.5+. I find he's very aggressive in pots that he's in. I have only 175 hands on him and he has position on me at this table. He knows I've been 3-betting his raises semi-frequently. We've warred maybe 2-3 times HU and I haven't lost yet.

I can't quantify how I feel about him, only that I don't trust him if you know what I mean.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB

I think I'm good on the river the % I need for it to be slightly profitable. Thoughts?

M

[/ QUOTE ]

Why no turn bet? Just curious... flop action seems to indicate you think you're still ahead, so the turn doesn't change anything and you don't want to give a bare A, AJ or JsTs or whatever a free card.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:18 AM

My primary focus was getting to SD. I didn't know if I were ahead and I wanted to keep it cheap...not sure if that's improper thinking, but since I couldn't, in my mind, fold to a turn raise, I didn't want to bet.

I think a lot of times it's good to measure the strength of your hand and decide how much betting you want. Like James282 was talking about HU and how he wants 2 BBs for his TP hands. This kind of hand, I want to see the river and not so expensively. I may have played weakly this hand, but I don't think so.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:24 AM

Checking the turn thwarts a sure checkraise which he'd have to call. It also induces a river bet from his opponent when villan holds a worse hand.

According to my count, you need to be good 13% of the time to call the river. Its an easy call.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:28 AM

Not sure I 3-bet for a free card on someone this agro but the rest looks good. He'll cap lots of hands and you end up costing yourself another bb to get to sd.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:29 AM

i dont think its easy... this is not normally a bet by a J.. the river bet is an A or a K or QT a huge % of the time
Old 10-03-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This kind of hand, I want to see the river and not so expensively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I guess I just don't like checking through the turn here on such a draw-heavy board. If you definitely can't fold to a second c/r vs this villain I like it more.

[ QUOTE ]
I may have played weakly this hand, but I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't implying that was the case. I may be wrong and likely am.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:16 AM

given his aggressiveness, I prefer the passive line of calling down after the flop checkraise. he'll likely bet both the turn and the river regardless of what he has, and this is as much as you can expect to win from a worse hand. your line only really saves you half a bet when against a king, but you also stand to lose a lot more if he wakes up with a hand.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:22 AM

i like everything except im unsure of the river...
Old 10-03-2005, 02:29 AM

The river sucks but I think he has a J or worse hand enough to call.