Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Nexgen owners feedback please!

I received a sample of Nexgen RPTs to check them out before I go and order 1000. Since everyone speaks so highly of them I had high hopes. When they arrived (3 in each color) I was kind of surprised. Their weight, sound and color is definitly good but... I found many 'plastic feeling' burs and mold flash and the material seems quite soft. I tried 'breaking them in' by putting them in a sock (pillow case seemed a bit much for 21 chips) and tossed them around a bit. The burs are now worse (very rough feeling) as well as some plastic discoloration (the way that high impact plastic turns white when stressed).

My question is are my expectations too high (they are pretty inexpensive after all) or did I get 'X outs' because is just ordered a few (from 5 star deal) or ???

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Nexgen owners feedback please!

I have had the same experience with RPT's I think the standard Nexgens are the way to go. They are the better looking of all 3 and dont have all the crappy mold marks.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:27 PM

No experience with the RPTs, but I liked my sample roll of Nexgen Las Vegas Nevada enough to get a set of 700.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:45 PM

Good to know. By standard Nexgens are you referring to the 10-8000 series? What about the 10-8002 series, are they similar to the RPT series in quality?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:16 PM

Too late to edit because I didn't realize they came with different color edge spots. Mine are the ones with the single color edge spots (10-8000).
Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 AM

I have 1000 nexgen RPT for tourneys- they are OK, though I'll never mistake them for clay. The flash will go away, but the mold marks and flaws won't.
They sticker very well.
My only other complaint is the coloring.
Blacks and greens are far too similar in body and edgespots. The red, white & blue chips also have obnoxious edge dots.
They do look good when stickered, though.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good to know. By standard Nexgens are you referring to the 10-8000 series? What about the 10-8002 series, are they similar to the RPT series in quality?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the 10-8000 are the way to go, the 8002 just look ridiculous with the different color edge spots which are inconsistent from chip to chip.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:53 PM

I haven't bought the RPT version but I also have the regular 10-8000 NexGens (650) and don't have any bur problems. Didn't the RPT chips come out first before the regular NexGens?
Old 05-20-2005, 04:08 PM

I went ahead and ordered samples of the 10-8000 and 10-8002 in all colors. I should get them today or tomorrow, so we'll see how the side by side comparison is.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:53 AM

Well, I got the rest of my Nexgen samples. My opinion is pretty much in line with everyone elses. The original LV 10-8000 series is the one. The 10-8002 series is basically the same quality, but the edge colors are rediculous.

I must say that I'm pretty disappointed. I really like the edge spots on the RPT series but the overall quality is not up to snuff. It seems that on top of the molding seam flash, that the materials used for the edge spots is different that then main body of the chip. This results in the edge spot material sometimes coming apart from the chip matieral creating burrs and such. This does not seem to be the case with the 10-8000/10-8002 series so I'm not sure why they needed to change things (and screw them up). Anyway, time to go and rework my label designs and order my chips.