Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Another Question For Christians

The punishment thinking is wrong, there is no punishment other than the punishment we self impose.

Ever read Platos Republic? The portion about the river of forgetfulness where we all drink from before we come here? If there were no such instrument, there would be no reason for us to be here.

We are here because we want to know things that are only possible to learn in this existance. Or put another way, if we were all here with the same knowledge, how could I work out my problems, or be the thorn in your side so you can work out yours?

For example look at the news this week. If that woman were not in the circumstance she is in how many people would not have the opportunity to look inside their soul and do some serious soul searching on the value of human life and what it really is? She created opportunity for literally millions to work on something very important to their personal growth.

The flaw in the punishment idea is that 'bad' people somehow snuck out of prison and caught a train here without the good guys knowing. Now they are here they have a free ticket to stay until their bodies death and then they get punished.... 'nuff said.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a worse example is something that you still continue to see every Friday night at a West Texas football game.and that is a prayer before the game.
I'm sure a God, gods, higher intelligence whatever has nothing better to do than to choose which team he wants to win those games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says they're praying for a win?
Old 03-28-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two clauses in this sentence are contradictory.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:15 PM

You're not from Texas are you?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what about those who are not sure one way or the other? More precisely what about those who believe that there is only a pretty good possibility that there is such a god out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Re: The possibility of a God out there-- Some people may intimate that they are positive they know there is a god out there, but, similar to your statements in TOP to the effect that "you can never be absolutely sure what cards your opponent holds" none of us can ever actually know for certain that a god is out there. Why that is is another question, but safe to say, somebody who is not sure one way or the other would be just like everybody else (except for those who deny this reality and insist they know one way or the other.)

Re: Whether blessings and prayers have an effect-- I watched an interesting movie on dvd recently that seeks to link God/Personal Spirituality/Prayer/Quantum Physics, called "What the Bleep Do We Know." Some may find it interesting. Others silly. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what about those who are not sure one way or the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

From Dante's Inferno:

[ QUOTE ]
The beginning of Upper Hell, Ante-Hell (also described as "Nowhere") lies outside the River Acheron, a fast-moving river of ink-black water.

Anyone who has any contact whatsoever with the River Acheron will be trapped forever in the river, very cold and very uncomfortable, aware and unable to move.

It is the place where those who would make no choices in life, "who lived a life but lived it with no blame and no praise", are condemned to spend their eternity. This includes those too self-absorbed to make choices, those who were neither warm nor cold on important matters, those who were neither believers nor blasphemers. They run about the hills of Ante-Hell forever having no hope of truly dying, chasing banners they will never catch, and being stung repeatedly by hornets and wasps. An example of such a person who refused to make decisions in his life would be Pontius Pilate, who refused to pass sentence of Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I believe indecision to be highly unproductive, I don't think there is a thing any man can do to go to hell. Largely due to the fact that hell doesn't exist.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:34 PM

Revised Standard version same passage

Matthew 12:31,32

31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Best of Luck

Scott
Old 03-28-2005, 05:49 PM

Why are you only virtually certain? Doesn't that make you one of those who isn't sure one way or the other?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:49 PM

The way I see it, Faith is not about "knowing" nor about "being sure". It's not about calculating the odds nor deducting a conclusion from evidence. It's a decision you make about taking a stand. It's a matter of searching your soul or heart or core being for who you are and who you want to be and saying, I stand here. I stand with these people or by these principles or in this Spirit. There's an old saying about the Unexamined Life and another about Knowing Yourself. I think most everyone does this to some extent, some more deeply than others. The place you choose to make your stand in life Is YOUR Faith. You gotta have Faith.

PairTheBoard
Old 03-28-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: \"Inherit the Wind\" on Easter weekend........

"I am more intrested in the "Rock of Ages" than i am the age of rocks.