Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Do you really need to have Understood TOP to understand SSH

I have read and fully understood WLLH and ITH, I then moved onto SSH, Although i understood it partialy and can apply some of the concepts and they have improved my play from week tight to more TAG style. I feel that im haveing alot of problems fully absorbing and applying alot of the concepts, Its as if there's an intermediate bit missing between the books i have read and SSH. I just cant get into the mindset of going on purly + or - EV when playing. I find that I play tight SSH preflop and postflop I use my instinks based on the size of the pot, player reads and the type of hand i have when seeing the flop. I raise for value and when my instinks tell me a rasie will help me but i dont think about or even really no how apply weather what im doing is +EV or not. I find it hard to get away from playing for and only thinking about the immediate pot in front of me and not if id win this hand with more bbs in it 35% of the time if i rasied instead of calling. You understand what im getting at? Is TOP the missing part to my puzzle? Does it explain the concepts at a level an average joe could understand? I was never really very good at maths and i dont play poker purly mathematicaly and when i read books i think they sort of help me play better by instinks rather than by purly following the maths concepts while playing. And so far it seems to be working, Im absolutly hammering the oppositon i currently play against. Which is mainly on $1-2 and £1-2 on the crypto, beating those games for 11 bb per 100 over the last 8000 hands.