Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Default I\"ve decided

It's impossible to consistently beat the low limit sngs on party.

I have been playing poker since before it was popular. My profit last year was around 50k. Most of my winnings came from MTT's and a little from side games. This year I havent been able to travel much so i have been focusing on trying to beat online poker.

Anyway playing multiple SNG's is alot more fun for me than cash games. and the variance for the MTT's is a little high. I decided to start at the 10+1 party tables and climb my way up. I play four at once and its slow for me, i am probably gonna play 8 or 12 as soon as i get a new rig or mine set up for it.

My results for the first 40 or so SNG's was about 4$ profit per sng and I cashed in almost half of them. This is right about where i thought i should be. In my last 40 SNG's i pretty much gave back my profit from the first SNG's. I show that 7 times i got caught stealing. 8 times i got coinflipped out. and 24!!! times i lost with the best hand. I keep telling myself that variance will catch up and i will start making profit again, But as i play sng after sng my hope diminishes.

My strategy is pretty simple, unless special circumstances i only play top 4 hands during the first three levels. During the 25-50 and 50-100 levels i will start attempting steals. after that I calcualate fold equity and know when i have positive EV to push for the blinds or call with the best hand. I am very patient waiting for my spots if im shortstacked and steal more when big stacked. Elementary poker....

Anyhow sorry if i am whining but i am hoping writing this will relieve some of my frustration and maybe you people can tell me something i am doing wrong.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: I\"ve decided

You're right. I give up.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:13 PM

First off, 80 SNGs is nothing. I mean, just nothing at all. People play 80 SNGs a day (I don't -- I'm at around 10-15, but I have a job).

Second -- there's a bunch of people on here who are consistently beating the 11s. I'm not sure what else to say. They just aren't that hard.

Also, if you have a roll of 50k, why the heck are you playing the 11s anyway?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's impossible to consistently beat the low limit sngs on party.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's actually quite easy. But we'll get to that later on.

[ QUOTE ]

I have been playing poker since before it was popular. My profit last year was around 50k. Most of my winnings came from MTT's and a little from side games. This year I havent been able to travel much so i have been focusing on trying to beat online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you start out with I won xx thousands last year you have pretty much thrown away all credibility.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway playing multiple SNG's is alot more fun for me than cash games. and the variance for the MTT's is a little high. I decided to start at the 10+1 party tables and climb my way up.

[/ QUOTE ]

First sensible part of your post. Starting at the bottom and moving your way up is always good.

[ QUOTE ]

I play four at once and its slow for me, i am probably gonna play 8 or 12 as soon as i get a new rig or mine set up for it.

My results for the first 40 or so SNG's was about 4$ profit per sng and I cashed in almost half of them. This is right about where i thought i should be. In my last 40 SNG's i pretty much gave back my profit from the first SNG's. I show that 7 times i got caught stealing. 8 times i got coinflipped out. and 24!!! times i lost with the best hand. I keep telling myself that variance will catch up and i will start making profit again, But as i play sng after sng my hope diminishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight you played a whole 80 SnG and didn't turn a 40% profit?? What the hell is wrong with you? The average beginner here shows a 70% RoI for every 80 SnG played.

It's called variance, don't come back to us bitching about numbers until you have at LEAST 1,000 tournaments under your belt. The best people on here will show you 20 to 25 SnG streaks where they didn't finish in the money. And they are proven winners.

[ QUOTE ]

My strategy is pretty simple, unless special circumstances i only play top 4 hands during the first three levels. During the 25-50 and 50-100 levels i will start attempting steals. after that I calcualate fold equity and know when i have positive EV to push for the blinds or call with the best hand. I am very patient waiting for my spots if im shortstacked and steal more when big stacked. Elementary poker....

Anyhow sorry if i am whining but i am hoping writing this will relieve some of my frustration and maybe you people can tell me something i am doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is basic strategy we all use.

Oh and one more thing, no chance in hell you made 50k last year off of poker.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have been playing poker since before it was popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

And still you are unfamiliar and unprepared for variance? And don't realize that you haven't got even close to a big enough sample to draw any conclusions about the profitability of low limit SnGs?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:21 PM

I think it is harder to beat the $5s then it is the $11s. The rake at the $5s kill you, no matter how bad the players are. The $10s are very beatable though.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:39 PM

You're right, you can't beat the low-limit SNGs the players are too bad and suck out too much. You should move to the 100s where the players aren't so loose and I'm sure you will see and immediate improvement in your ROI.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:42 PM

I guess the thousands and thousands of dollars I've made playing these things was just a fluke then.

I'll quit now.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:45 PM

Default EVERYONE PLEASE READ

We've had our fun. We've mocked and ridiculed him. We've laughed. We've had a thoughtful response that should speak volumes to this poster. Can we just let it go and not keep bumping it after this post please? Let's move on.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: EVERYONE PLEASE READ

Ok forgive me, it appears i have misrepresented myself. My claim of making about 50k last year is accurate. My biggest wins coming from a first place finish in the bellagio weekly tourney and a 2nd place finish in one of the LA stars and stripes events. i was also consistantly beating the local(at the time) 500$ NL game. It seems that i made a very rookie mistake in including this in my post. I was just trying to show that I keep records, I turn a profit and I am not a rookie. I can understand how this would be misunderstood.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight you played a whole 80 SnG and didn't turn a 40% profit?? What the hell is wrong with you? The average beginner here shows a 70% RoI for every 80 SnG played.

It's called variance, don't come back to us bitching about numbers until you have at LEAST 1,000 tournaments under your belt. The best people on here will show you 20 to 25 SnG streaks where they didn't finish in the money. And they are proven winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok please instead of being sarcastic tell me what kind of results i should expect, right now my profit is so low that without rakeback i wouldnt be beating the rake. Saying that good players lose 25 in a row doesnt really help me here.

I know about friggen variance. I just didnt expect it to him me like this. When i was showing a good profit i knew i could'nt keep it up but i just didnt expect it to drop off the map.

I guess i have learned a few things from your replies even if they were unfriendly. I will keep at i and hope that this slump will even back out.

I don't post alot and you guys have reminded me why, thanks for being kind to a rookie poster.