Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 02:30 PM

Default NEPC $565 NL hand............

New England Poker Classic......NLHE $565 buy-in.....779 registered AND 200 'alternates' (they will all get to play as they will replace the first 200 who bust out)...It figures to be a long day..........

11 players to a table......I know no one at this table.

T1500 to start....Blinds 25-50.

15 minutes into the tournament.........

Hero is in BB with 5s6s....One limper from mid......SB completes. T150 in the pot.

Flop is 5h5c4h....

SB checks.....Hero checks his flopped trips....MP checks.......

Turn is 10c.....

SB checks.....Hero bets 100.....MP raises 100 to 200......Hero RR to 700....T1150 now in pot.

MP limper thinks for about 5 seconds and pushes all-in (another T750)....

Hero has T800 left and is getting just about 2 1/2 to 1 if he calls.......

What's your play here and why?

Results to follow...........
Old 04-03-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: NEPC $565 NL hand............

Look slike villain could have 44 or TT based on the way he played the hand. ATs could also possibly be his holding judging by the limp in MP. I think very rarely your up against AA-KK because he may have limped hoping for you or button to raise preflop. You got yourself into a bad position. I think betting the flop isn;t to bad of an idea because I thinkit will look more like a steal than a set of 5's.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:01 PM

Tough spot.

Why did you check the flop? Not a critique, just a curiosity. I would have made a probe bet of T50 or T75.

If hero folds he still has half his stack. If hero calls he has T50 left. Hero is drawing dead to 10,10. I doubt the villian would limp with the hand and not raise preflop or bet the flop. I would rule out 1010.

I would really worry about either 45 or 44. Aye carumba. 15 minutes into the tournament and a decision for all your chips.

If you fold, you have burned half your stack and have enough chips to play 10 orbits. You have 16 times the big blind left. Enough to still protect your hand at this limit. Since the blinds do not move up that quickly, you have time here.

I gamble and call. I say this because I can come close to doubling up. Some unknown players will make that same play with a hand like A10. Every player needs to put him or herself in a position to get lucky. Im only drawing dead to 1010 a hand, I doubt my opponent has. If he has 44 or 45 I need help. He could have a flush draw or picked up a flush draw. I would have call.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:05 PM

Personally I think it looks like AT or A5.
~Justin
Old 04-03-2005, 03:18 PM

I agree with both possibilities.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:30 PM

Call. More ofteen than not you will see a hand that you beat -- and th pot odds are sweet. If you get shown 44 you can win a lot in the side games [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And I am impressed that you post during the tourney...
Old 04-03-2005, 03:36 PM

I wouldn't say more often than not you will see a hand you beat. I would say there is only 4-5 hands that you beat that make this move, AT, QQ, JJ, 99-77. And you get beat by TT, 44, A5, 54, or any bigger 5. That being said I think AT is a VERY strong possibility and the chance to double through makes the call worth it.
~Justin
Old 04-03-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough spot.

Why did you check the flop? Not a critique, just a curiosity. I would have made a probe bet of T50 or T75.

If hero folds he still has half his stack. If hero calls he has T50 left. Hero is drawing dead to 10,10. I doubt the villian would limp with the hand and not raise preflop or bet the flop. I would rule out 1010.

I would really worry about either 45 or 44. Aye carumba. 15 minutes into the tournament and a decision for all your chips.

If you fold, you have burned half your stack and have enough chips to play 10 orbits. You have 16 times the big blind left. Enough to still protect your hand at this limit. Since the blinds do not move up that quickly, you have time here.

I gamble and call. I say this because I can come close to doubling up. Some unknown players will make that same play with a hand like A10. Every player needs to put him or herself in a position to get lucky. Im only drawing dead to 1010 a hand, I doubt my opponent has. If he has 44 or 45 I need help. He could have a flush draw or picked up a flush draw. I would have call.

[/ QUOTE ]

...my thinking at the time.....correct or not.

I didn’t know this fella and had no chance to get any read on him whatsoever.........

His limp from mid could be anything from a small/medium pair to Ax or two paint cards.

I did NOT bet out on the flop, because my first thought was........’How can I maximize my return on this hand/ and see where I’m at, at the same time.

I checked behind the SB, fully intending to rr had MP limper bet. My rr would have been a ‘defining’ type of rr.....more to find out where I am at. I was surprised to see MP not make a play at that board given the flop and both of our checks.

When the Tc comes on the turn, the SB again checks and I lead out with a T100 bet this time....again looking to see where I’m at. MP’s rr of T100 appeared ‘fishy’ to me, but it could also be an Tx looking to define his hand. I think for a bit.....Could he really have 44? Could he be on an overpair? I discard both, as I fell that he would have made some kind of move post flop, given that he had position. If he was a tricky player and had 44 and was playing us....o well.

What I REALLY thought was that his mini-rr after the Tc hit was much more likely something like ATo, KT, QT, JT etc. BUT.....there were also 2 hearts & 2 clubs on the board and I really didn’t want to give him odds had he been drawing to either of the flushes, hence my rr of T500, destroying his drawing odds.......

When he rr’d all-in, I felt that I might have ‘trapped myself’, but decided to make the call based upon what the pot offered me plus the idea of doubling up very early in the tournament. As I said earlier, with that many players it was going to be a long day, and I had just finished busting out on the bubble of the $565 FL the day before with AA.....I was in no mood to play for another 8-10 hours on a short stack.

That may be ‘bad’ thinking, but it’s the truth.

I called.....He turned over..................Ad5d...........No help in the river and I’m now in the SB with T25 behind.....

I pick up ATo and move my monster T25 in after all had folded to me.........

Autocall (of coarse by the BB)....He has Q5o......and hits a 5............

No ‘Presto’ for me today.......5’s were my downfall.

O well.....on to the $5K buy in later this week..........
Old 04-03-2005, 04:36 PM

sorry buddy.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:58 PM

Dude,

I would have played it the same way. I know exactly what you mean when you write... As I said earlier, with that many players it was going to be a long day, and I had just finished busting out on the bubble of the $565 FL the day before with AA.....I was in no mood to play for another 8-10 hours on a short stack.

I would rather just end my tournament there, or double up.