Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Short Stacked - All In Correct Here?

PokerStars $5+$1, around 400 people out of 1385 left. Average stack for the tourney at this point is around 5500 chips, blinds are about to go up in 4 minutes (currently 100/200). I think the biggest stacks of the tourney were up in the 20K-30K range.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t5665)
SB (t2595)
Hero (t1335)
UTG (t8148)
UTG+1 (t1470)
MP1 (t6690)
MP2 (t8445)
MP3 (t3537)
CO (t1440)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t200, UTG calls t200, UTG+1 folds.

I'm being offered 5.5-1 pot odds. The pre-flop raise was not out of the ordinary, that player was aggressive and was capable of raising with a variety of hands in that position. So I think I'm at best up against high cards. I call because I think time is running short, I'm short-stacked, I'm getting good odds, and I have to make a move here with the blinds moving up if I want a chance at all to get back in the tourney.

Flop: (t1500) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t935</font>, UTG folds, Button calls t335.

I'm 1.9 to 1 to hit the flush (which I think will win the hand) by the river and pot odds are 3.5 to 1 right now. If I call, I'm only left with a couple chips so I figure I'll put it all-in with the button more than likely going to call. I can either triple up here or die trying.

Does this all look OK to you?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Short Stacked - All In Correct Here?

not sure i call this pre-flop, although you are getting nice odds with a bunch of limpers in the pot. generally, when i call 1/6 of my chips before the flop and first to act post-flop, i want to have a plan in mind for what i'm going to do when i hit one of the flops i'm looking for.

your check-push is correct odds wise, but I'd much rather open push this. why force yourself to make the flush? granted that with all of these players someone is probably calling since you can barely deny proper odds for the flush draw and there is an A on board.

but since you are going to put it all-in after a bet, why not simply put it in first? any fold equity you have is retained and you give yourself the chance to double up without actually having to win the hand. On top of that, if someone calls, it was the mathematically correct play assuming they don't have a higher flush draw (the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] being on board helps you here).
Old 10-27-2005, 02:14 PM

fold preflop

push the flop, no need to c/r
Old 10-27-2005, 02:21 PM

I understand what you are saying and I think I should have pushed all-in on the flop. My plan pre-flop was to call, and if the flop didn't hit to fold, otherwise I was going to push everything in.

One of the big factors in playing the hand to begin with was time. I thought I was short-stacked with little time left and I thought this was a cheap enough opportunity with the odds. So do you think I still had time to make some chips and get back in the tournament?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

push the flop, no need to c/r

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2005, 02:30 PM

Personally, I would have folded that hand to any raise. You're pretty much going to be getting the worst of it no matter what, and the more players against you, the more likely the flop is to hit them and not you.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:31 PM

I don't think you were critically short stacked, you would have 1035 left after the blinds pass, and with the big blind still at 200, you do have opportunities.

There are arguements to both fold and call pre flop, but with that kind of flop coming down, I would push and not check raise like the others say.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you were critically short stacked, you would have 1035 left after the blinds pass, and with the big blind still at 200, you do have opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my book, 5BB is critically short stacked
Old 10-27-2005, 02:47 PM

You basically don't have many chips left and a very large draw (unless someone shows two higher diamonds, then you're toast.)

Probably you need to open-push - just to keep the fold equity alive. Naked aces still will call here, of course, but you have some chance, and then you can work on your flush.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:00 PM

Fold pre flop. What if the UTG or UTg+1 were limping and planning to re-raise? Be careful of active players behind you.
And push on the flop for the reason others have already stated.