Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 10:58 PM

Default Tough Call with AQo after Flop

I have AQo in the BB and UTG (TPP) raises. I call and flop TPTK -- then I'm unexpectedly baffled. Help me out.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???

Seems like an easy bet. But then I got to thinking about UTG, who is a weak-tight player. His raise UTG indicates a strong hand. I'd put him on nothing weaker than AA-JJ, AK. And I'm behind all those hands except AK, with no outs except the Qs!

My usual thought would be to bet and fold (or call down) to a raise. But I don't think a weak-passive will necessarily raise even with AA in this situation. There's many a calling station who has called me all the way to the river with a set of Js. And I don't think checking is much better for getting information.

So what's my strategy? What am I trying to accomplish here, and how do I get there?

-- Scott
Old 12-10-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Tough Call with AQo after Flop

i'd check/call and then check/raise a safe turn card
Old 12-10-2004, 12:13 AM

Tim: The time to consider what that player will raise with is before the flop not after hitting top pair.

Joe: Once you have made the commitment to call, I think you need to now raise the flop and possibly reraise to gain information now. If he caps with you I think you see the turn a check fold unimproved.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:43 AM

The table is 6 handed...so my anaylsis may not be worth [censored].

I think your main problem was calling preflop with this hand. You hand is worth very little against AA-JJ and AK (collectively). I would check/call the flop and maybe check/fold either the turn or river if UTG bets again. You should just go with your read here. I don't think a check/raise anywhere will do anything for you (he will probably just call with better and worse hands as you said).

Brad
Old 12-10-2004, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think your main problem was calling preflop with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's something I hadn't considered. Although I'm sure if I posted a fold of AQo here I would be berated for weak-tight.

I supposed I could have re-raised PF -- if he caps I can pretty solidly put him on KK or AA...?

-- Scott
Old 12-10-2004, 10:04 AM

I fold AQo to a lot of raises - but if I'm the BB at a SH-table, I don't think folding is a particularly good decision. Just my two cents though.

Alex
Old 12-10-2004, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put him on nothing weaker than AA-JJ, AK. And I'm behind all those hands except AK,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe these to be his raising standards from UTG then you should fold pre-flop.

Very hard to let AQ go for one bet but this is what reads are for.

I am SLOWLY learning. If I see stats of 18/2 this is an easy lay down for me.

I've have been so many times burned when making this call only to see AA,KK etc. at showdown and then say to myself "I knew villian had something like that" and then I think "well, if you knew, why did you call?"
Old 12-10-2004, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you believe these to be his raising standards from UTG then you should fold pre-flop.

Very hard to let AQ go for one bet but this is what reads are for.

I am SLOWLY learning. If I see stats of 18/2 this is an easy lay down for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are WAY ahead of the game buddy! This is an definately an easy laydown, and I applaud you for seeing that.

There is a player on Party I run into all the time that is weak/tight with 16/3 numbers after 900+ hands. He only raises with AA-JJ and AK. I played him yesterday and he raised UTG, I was UTG+2 and folded AQ offsuit. Sure enough, he had AA.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:48 AM

Can you really say with this much certainty that a player has AA-JJ or AK with a raise 6 handed? I think you have the best hand here more often than not. Play it out, check raise him, see what happens. Folding your top pair is way too weak tight, and that's coming from a closet weak tighter.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have AQo in the BB and UTG (TPP) raises. I call and flop TPTK -- then I'm unexpectedly baffled. Help me out.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???

Seems like an easy bet. But then I got to thinking about UTG, who is a weak-tight player. His raise UTG indicates a strong hand. I'd put him on nothing weaker than AA-JJ, AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why are you calling his raise in the BB with AQo?