Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Folding Top Pair

Early in a 1000 player tourney on ps.
I'm in BB with ajo, the button raises after all folds to him, im in sb, i call, bb calls, flop comes 2tj, rainbow. i raise 200, (i have about 16 in chips) bb re raises me 200, button folds. I call, turn, is a meaning less card, i check, bb goes all in. I fold. he never turned his cards, and i had no read on the type of player he was, i put him on j10 tho, do u think i made the right move, considering it was early in the tourney, and i would have better chances to double up?
Old 04-10-2004, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Folding Top Pair

[ QUOTE ]
i put him on j10 tho

[/ QUOTE ]

So you figured you had him beat, but still folded after putting in a decent amount of chips? At first glance, I'd say that's a pretty bad play. Of course, you're missing a bit of information, like:

-Blind Levels
-Stack Sizes (you and your opponent...when you say 16 i assume you mean 1600...)
-Anything else that might've gone into this decision.

Yes, its normally true you should avoid close gambles, especially early on in a tournament, but not knowing much about this hand I'd tend to say its not a very good fold. I like to think "If I get the cards I WANT and can't call, what can I call?" I'll respond again if you can give any more info.

-Edge
Old 04-11-2004, 12:17 AM

Huh ? Since when does AJ beat JT on a board of JTxx ?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:32 AM

Right, im saying he had jacks and 10s i think. therefore he was winning
Old 04-11-2004, 02:04 AM

Misread your post...missed the T...my bad.

Disregard my last post, too, I guess. I looked at it and normally I put in the "T" to make it stand out and all...never mind...

I'd still kinda like to know the level and such, but since you're pretty sure you were BEAT, then in most cases I'd say this was a pretty good fold.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:18 AM

You mentioned this was a 1000-player tournament -- I assume a freeroll? We are missing some important information like the pot size and the size of your remaining stack (and also your post first said you were in BB but then said SB).

In general it's correct to fold top pair top kicker to your opponent's all-in on the turn, but it really does depend on the stack sizes relative to the pot.