Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Pocket Jacks WSOP ME

Third level day 1 with blinds of 100/200. UTG makes it
600. He has played very few hands. He has around 10000.
I have around 6000 and I call with pocket Jacks in late middle position. Button also calls with around 16000. Button's play is a little loose.

Flop comes 3 6 8 rainbow.

UTG bets 1000 and I raise to 2500. Button calls and
UTG calls.

Turn 3h 6s 8c 7h

Check, check, check

River 3h 6s 8c 7h Th

UTG bets 2500. What's my play?

Comments appreciated.

Bruce
Old 07-11-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Pocket Jacks WSOP ME

If my math is right there's ~T11,500 in the pot and you're down to ~T2,900, correct?

Just clarifying as I think this one through; at first glance I'm thinking fold as there several feasible hands that have you tanked.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:33 PM

With a player behind this is an easy fold i think. I dont see any realistic hands that you are beating.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:35 PM

Push the Turn. I think you made a big mistake by not pushing on the turn. The only draw that card completed is the bb holding 45. That being said, a LOT of draws opened up on the turn. You handed everyone a free card If you pushed on the turn you may have gotten callers with draws but you would have been ahead and have the odds to do it. I think you have to fold this on the river with 3 players and 4 to a straight and 3 to a flush you are behind to too much here. not to mention 2 random pair from the big blind. Plus you can not raise again here (bet to you is 2500 you have 3000 or so left) so you will have to show the best hand. UTG may be bluffing but it is very expensive to be wrong here. TOugh hand but I think you have to let the jacks go.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:35 PM

If I'm doing the math right, you make the call and lose and you're gone? This isn't the way I want to go out of the tournament, calling off against a tight player. If he's as tight as you lay him out to be, AA, KK, QQ obviously beat you, and now TT got home on the river.

The only thing you beat is AK, and that makes some sense. Obvious raise UTG, continuation bet on the flop, and he's getting the price to peel one off on the turn after the button also calls your raise. When it gets checked around on the turn, he might think he can take it down with a bet.

HOWEVER, I think a high pocket pair is a little more likely. He makes a 1/2 pot bet on the flop, and just smoothcalls the raise. No point in making a big re-raise to blow the button out of there as there are no draws on that board. He checks the turn hoping you'll bet again and then he can re-pop it. Obviously he has to bet the river in fear of it getting checked around.

It might be weak-tight, but I can't make this call for all my chips at this point.

Edit to add: Even 99, 88, 77, 66 have you beat. I can't make this call.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:40 PM

I agree with everyone above: fold. With blinds at 100/200 and your stack at ~T3000 you've got to pray for a card rush, but at least you're still breathing.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:41 PM

I don't see the point of the turn check, unless your plan was that if UTG calls your raise he has you beat and you can safely check/fold. Thus if I checked the turn, I must've been planning to fold the river, and I'm not going to change that plan now. If I don't think UTG has me beat, then I bet the turn. Do you think a "tight" player calls your raise with less than a set or overpair?

That said 3k chips is a very short stack and I think you might not see a better spot. Though if you were ever going to check/fold an overpair this is the time to do it. I'm not sure I could get away in the heat of battle.

Edited because I didn't phrase myself how I wanted to the first time.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:54 PM

Add a tallymark to the "push the turn" column.

I can't see any reason why not to, quite frankly. You figure to be best, get your money in there before you give a free card to a river that you are almost guaranteed not to like.

Kings
Old 07-11-2005, 02:17 PM

Got to be a fold. If it was just UTG and you left then it'd be an easy(ish) call - but it's hard to see how UTG would bet out into 2 of you on a bluff - which is pretty much all you beat. Button musy have had something to cold-call a raise on the flop - an overpair (all of which now beat you) or a straight draw (which has now made it) look most likely. Can't really see any way you're now beating both of them.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:40 PM

marginal call preflop

if you must raise that flop, try pushing instead