Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Monte Carlo Millions

Havn't seen this talked about. I guess this was a 25k buyin over the pond. Lots of big names played it. The final table is going to include the final 6 players, plus a wildcard winner from a second tournament that is going on today. The wildcard winner will start with a stack of 10xBB which is about 1/2 the size of the small stack. Phil Ivey has about 2.4 million in chips. Kenna James is the low stack with 310k. The wildcard winner will start with 160k.

Ken
Old 11-22-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Monte Carlo Millions

What's sick is phil managed to more than DOUBLE his stack [1.06m>2.4m] playing down from 12 to 6.

Will he blow it again like last year?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:15 PM

I don't understand the wildcard thing.

The first half or so of the field that busted out play a freeroll freezeout and the winner gets a seat at the final table and is accordingly guaranteed more more money than dozens of players that beat him/her?

Not only does this seem unfair, it kind of messes with the early part of the tournament. If my understanding of the second chance thing is correct, it seems to me there is a point where if you are short stacked early in the tournament, the +EV move is to gamble it up to either get a big stack or ensure yourself a seat in the losers' freeroll.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:24 PM

Is there a link? Where can I find updates?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:30 PM

http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/schedule1969.htm
Old 11-22-2005, 04:41 PM

Thanks. I also saw www.pokerwire.com is doing day 3 live updates, so check it out if interested.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If my understanding of the second chance thing is correct, it seems to me there is a point where if you are short stacked early in the tournament, the +EV move is to gamble it up to either get a big stack or ensure yourself a seat in the losers' freeroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get 10bb and can finish no lower than 7th, but everyone who busts before the final 6 are established are entered. It recirculates about 1k of the prizepool per player, roughly 4% of the entire prizepool, as a buyin was $25k.

The reason? To create 2 more episodes of hot poker action for tv.

The only people that were shafted were the ones who had yet to bust from the final table before the Consolation Tourney started. Tony G lasted about a half an hour after the CT started before he busted 7th.

Dumb format, tho.

-kyo
Old 11-22-2005, 05:01 PM

No, apparently even those busting out on the bubble got a chance to enter the CT: http://www.montecarlomillions.com/blog05d3a.php. Of course, Tony G busted out on the first hand. Ouch!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:51 PM

There's an Irish poker info site that is currently following the consolation tournament. As far as I know they are the only info site with updates on the consolation tournament. Mainly they are focussing on Irish poker pros Andy Black and Peter Roche but there is also coverage of the other big UK and American names; Dave Colclough, Devilfish, Antonio Esfandiari and Mike the Mouth.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:57 PM

im now very confused for this whole tourney

so there are 6 players left that will play tommorow and one person will be added tommorow?

why would they want to play 7-handed, such a weird number