Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: What\'s up with the Asian players?

Only on his mothers side [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 05:18 PM

Can't we all just get along?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:10 PM

in LA, i would add the persians to the list too (and im half myself). they think they can capture the world with the one pot they win, and keep coming back for more. persians and asians alike, they all go one way or the other: they end up mastering the game or they have mad gambling problems. I never see OK players of either type, just one or the other.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm, pointing out cultural differences between people with different backgrounds isn't racism.

Just because somebody uses the word "asian" to contrast it with "caucasian" doesn't mean that it's racist. Cultural differences are important, in poker as in life, and talking about these cultural differences is different from racism. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't "pointing out cultural differences" or making any kind of legitimate point. He was just complaining in a superficial way. There does exist a reasonable way to ask about stereotypical Asian LAgginess, and this was not it.

Taking a sort of "anti-political-correctness" stance is the new way to defend nonsense. I don't like political correctness either, but this isn't about that. It's about the fact that what he wrote was stupid.

Tell me how his post was constructive.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:25 PM

I don't know, maybe his post wasn't constructive. But there are a lot of plausible explanations that have nothing to do with racism. That's all I was trying to say - I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything of the sort.

I just feel that it is constructive sometimes to talk about systematic differences between groups of people, and that there is nothing inherently racist about such a discussion.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There does exist a reasonable way to ask about stereotypical Asian LAgginess, and this was not it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with this, although I'm willing to accept that ignorance rather than malice underlies the OP's approach.

I have made "reads" before based on ethnic stereotypes, and I'm a believer that generalization isn't always a negative thing when done in moderation and without intent of demonizing individuals. However, it's good to remember that poker stereotypes cut both ways when the person being stereotyped is savvy enough to use perceptions to her advantage.

Good poker players are constantly reevaluating their initial assumptions based on new data. Or so I would imagine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is nothing inherently racist about such a discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I agree with this statement, there is something inherently bigoted about the OP and therefore doesn't deserve a rational discussion.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I agree with this statement, there is something inherently bigoted about the OP and therefore doesn't deserve a rational discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with you the OP did have an underlying current of bigotry. And it's too bad really because this could have made a great discussion.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not racist either, but let me tell you, if you think playing with the orientals is something, you should try playing with the coloreds.

[/ QUOTE ]
nh
Old 11-28-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with you the OP did have an underlying current of bigotry. And it's too bad really because this could have made a great discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly was bigoted about his post? Ignorant, absolutely, but nothing bigoted.

The OP wasn't racist, it was just stupid.
Closed Thread