Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 04:51 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: 77 15-30 online

[ QUOTE ]
Not betting the river would be a horrible mistake as that means you are giving away the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

is folding when you think you're beaten a horrible mistake because it means you are giving away the pot too? at least when you fold you're not paying an extra big bet to do it.

there are times to bet busted hands, but this defaulty, "hey i can't win if i check!" reasoning sucks. you have to consider how often you'll get called.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:52 PM

I hear what you guys are saying,you can't win if you don't bet, but the 9-1 odds are to great for any A or K to lay down for one bet. I just don't think it is a good value 'cause you're beat 99% and you are going to get called 99%. What am I missing?
Old 08-25-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not betting the river would be a horrible mistake as that means you are giving away the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

is folding when you think you're beaten a horrible mistake because it means you are giving away the pot too? at least when you fold you're not paying an extra big bet to do it.

there are times to bet busted hands, but this defaulty, "hey i can't win if i check!" reasoning sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

right but consider the hands that call the turn here and raise preflop. A good # of them fold (more than 1 in 9), and I made that point in my original post, so this is a fairly easy bet.

I think K high folds here at least a reasonable percentage of the time.

But I do see the flaw in the first statement I made now, if I hadn't accompanied it with the second. Thanks astroglide.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:03 PM

yes, like everything else in poker it's very read dependant. against some opponents it's an easy bet, against others you might as well just give it up.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:05 PM

id be playing the board so when i check the most i could hope for is a chop. this makes a bet better.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:06 PM

"this defaulty, "hey i can't win if i check!" reasoning sucks. you have to consider how often you'll get called."

right. and since the pot was like 8 or 9 bbs i bet.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:08 PM

"you're beat 99% and you are going to get called 99%. What am I missing?"

what youre missing is although i may be beat around 95% of the time, that's not the same as me getting called 99% of the time. for instance Q high beats me, but is usually not calling. and K high beats me but will sometimes fold here. so a bet is the correct play.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:11 PM

Default result

he folded to my river bet. to be honest i think preflop, flop, and turn are more interesting than the river on this hand which is pretty straight forward. people who are struggling with this river need to hit the books.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:15 PM

Perfect. The flop bet is a spot where I like to mix it up, but my default is generally to lead out because, like you said, it is the standard line I would take with both a jack and a draw. The only way I change the turn is if he is capable of semibluff raising the turn with a straight draw or overs at the proper frequency. The river bet is not debatable imo. After betting the flop and the turn it would be insanely weak to check the river.

-Brad
Old 08-25-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: result

I don't like the flop bet too much, since there's too many people there to make it long-term profitable. But once you're heads-up the turn and river bet are pretty much obligatory.

What would you have done if he raises on the turn?