Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Flopping a set and the board gets ugly

At the risk of sounding repetitive, bet the damn flop... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Tom
Old 08-25-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, bet that flop, then a bunch of the guys in the middle call, and hopefully CO raises, and then we 3-bet and then $$$$$$$$$$$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. It would also be a shame if the CO has 2 overs and decides to check it through on the flop.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you are going to check this flop with this many people you should be doing so with the intention of check raising to thin the field. I like the rest though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why thin the field on a drawless board like this (at the time of the flop at least).
Old 08-25-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, bet that flop, then a bunch of the guys in the middle call, and hopefully CO raises, and then we 3-bet and then $$$$$$$$$$$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the f-ing line I was looking for.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of sounding repetitive, bet the damn flop... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I usually tend to avoid donk betting when there is a preflop raiser and I'm pretty sure I can count on him betting. I really took the wrong line here given my relative position to him.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Then it becomes 2-bets to the rest of the field who will likely fold. Bad idea.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think if you are going to check this flop with this many people you should be doing so with the intention of check raising to thin the field. I like the rest though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why thin the field on a drawless board like this (at the time of the flop at least).

[/ QUOTE ]

(A) The board is not drawless - anybody with a 7 has an open-ended str8 draw.
(B) Yes, you do not want to thin the field. You will only be thinning the field of thinks like AQo, which have zero chance of beating you. Anybody with a 7, as well as overpairs (which can beat you) will still call. In other words, you would only be thinning field of those people who can't beat you while those who can would remain. Thinning the field is a BAD idea.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(A) The board is not drawless - anybody with a 7 has an open-ended str8 draw.
(B) Yes, you do not want to thin the field. You will only be thinning the field of thinks like AQo, which have zero chance of beating you. Anybody with a 7, as well as overpairs (which can beat you) will still call. In other words, you would only be thinning field of those people who can't beat you while those who can would remain. Thinning the field is a BAD idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The only hands you can protect against are hands that are drawing dead/very very thin. The hands you want to fold are almost never folding (except, maybe, gutshots, but trapping them for multiple bets certainly isn't bad). On the flop with a set you have the best hand AND best draw like 99.9% of the time, so if you're ever in doubt about which line to take, I wouldn't worry about protection. Take the line that gets the most bets in from the most number of people.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:48 AM

I'm tempted to bet out on this flop, hoping to 3-bet the CO (or any other raiser) to get this pot big early. I like the turn donk bet as you don't want it checked through if you're ahead.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:25 AM

Your position here is awesome. If you have no fear of the board, bet hoping to 3bet a raise sucking more out of the field. If you are a scaredy pants (i dont think you should be here) then this is a perfect time for a check/raise to limit the field.

Rest of the hand looks fine.