Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Moving on up limits

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere...

Looking to move up limits, and i feel reasonably confident that I can win at the 50c/$1 tables, but every time i move up to the $1/$2 (mostly on cryptos if that makes a difference) I just seem to go back to square one.

Bank roll isn't a problem at this limit. How does everyone else decide when to move up limits. Is it based on your roll? A Magic win rate figure? Certain number of hands? And when do you decide to move down limits, after a down swing?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Moving on up limits

I've been playing poker for two years now and I'm just now feeling comfortable at $1/2 6 max. I don't have a large enough sample to ensure that I'm a winning player yet, but I don't feel like I'm out of my league there either.

I think some people are able to pick up on poker concepts very easily and sail right on up the limits. Others of us have to struggle for quite some time before we feel comfortable.

Just take shots at $1/2 when you feel like you're ready for it. If you don't like the way things are going, move back down, rebuild your confidence and roll, and then take another shot when you are ready.

I just took a shot at $2/4 6 max on PokerStars this weekend. I quickly lost $100 and promptly scurried back to $1/2 on Party. Maybe in a few weeks I'll try it again. Move up at whatever pace you feel is right for you. Personally, I would much rather make money slowly than lose it quickly. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM

Not surprisingly the answer is...it depends.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:05 PM

One thing I did when going from .5/1 to 1/2 at party was to play one table of .5/1 and one of 1/2 at the same time. I found that the increased size of the bets at 1/2 threw me off a bit and by playing two tables of different sizes I forced myself to see it as 1 small bet, or 1 big bet instead of a buck or two bucks. By doing this I was able to play my game and not be so timid.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:10 PM

I'd move up when I had won 600bb at that limit. Not when you have 600bb for the next limit, just that you won 600bb at the current one. If you want a magic win rate number, you should be able to beat .5/1 for 3bb/100+. A lot of people on this board like broader answers such as "when you feel ready", but I like numbers that back me up. I could feel ready but be bleeding chips. If you are consistently beating .5/1, feel ready to move up AND the stats are backing you up, it's time to make the jump.

Drop back down if you lose 200bb.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:45 PM

I don't play the Cryptos, but aren't they filled with bonus whores? If so, maybe you should make the jump to 1/2 at Party.

Also, I think you should play a few solid sessions at 1/2 before retreating, unless you are hemoraghing money. Post some hands here if you feel uncomfortable.

It also pays off to look for a juicy table.

Anyway, to answer the main question, I think you can make the jump when you've established yourself as a winner at your current limit for 10,000 hands and you have 300BB for the next level.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:46 PM

Does anyone take into consideration their session stats. 10K hands, winning sessions above 50% win, + bankroll = move up?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:52 PM

Having winning sessions >50% is fairly meaningless. I'm <50%, and I'm (so far) a pretty solid winning player. The reason is because I'll sit at a table for a couple orbits, post the blinds, catch no cards, and then realize I'm at a bad table, or in a lousy seat at a mediocre table, and then I leave. That's a session. If you're somewhat picky about table selection, it's easy to have that stat reduced to meaninglessness.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:56 PM

good point
Old 07-08-2005, 02:08 PM

I think there are two different categories: moving up and taking a shot.

So when you move up you have a healthy BR, a lot of confidence and you are an established winner at your current level. You are confident enough to stay at the higher level and NOT move back down even if you suffer a 300-400BB downswing (I consider the normal variance of 300BB plus 100BB for adjustment to the the new level).

When you are taking a shot you can do that with a smaller BR maybe 100-150BB or even less get a feeling for the game and then either stay there or move back down. So I guess it is a good idea to first take shots, even at different sites and then settle to the higher limit.

Just don't take too long. Poker is a game of risk and reward.