Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Default A high call down

Villain is 46/24/1.7. I've seen him semi-bluff raise a few times. He is too loose but he at least is a thinking opponent. I figure this is a great board for him to bluff raise on and decide to call down. Thoughts?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB
Old 09-07-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Re: A high call down

i dont mind this so much. looks but im not sure if its smart to call it down. What % of time here did he call the flop with overs with a high diamond? I presume thats what you put him on. That being so, he still has outs on the river, and quite possibly, you could be drawing dead. With all of this running back through my head, I think a fold to his raise is in order.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:05 AM

Not really sure if this is right or wrong but I would play it the sames as you.

What river card are you folding too? He would have likely raised a diamond draw on the flop. 24% pfr he is rasing with any high card strength. So what could he have small pair ? low connectors? Tough one.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:39 AM

With this player, i would call this down a lot of the time.. you are ahead here too much to fold it seems.. villian seems super aggressive.. so he would bet/raise if he hit a pair on flop or a four flush.. also, after calling the turn, theres no way u can fold when a blank comes.. a lot of my decision is based on how he plays flops
Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM

I really hate this hand and can never seem to find the right way to play it. Flop and pre-flop are fine in my find. But the turn on is where it gets tough. While the Villian is loose, he didn't raise pre-flop. Looking deeper, he plays half his hands and half of those he raises. Therefore, if he is limping in to open, I'm not to worried about high cards, but suited and middle cards. This flop and turn may be perfect for him. On his raise, you are getting 6:1 to call, but I'm not sure it's the right move. You've only got overs and another diamond or one of many possible straight cards doesn't help your cause. To me, this seems like a bet/fold on the turn.

Agreed? Or is this just me seeing monsters under the bed after being beat down for my last 3k hands?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:56 AM

If you have a diamond I would like this play alot better, you had better have one heck of a read to call him with no diamond. What is your plan if a diamond hits the river? Clarkmeister it? He's so aggresive I can't imagine that would work.

One second thought, just fold, there is little if any EV in betting and c/c the turn and river without a diamond.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a diamond I would like this play alot better, you had better have one heck of a read to call him with no diamond. What is your plan if a diamond hits the river? Clarkmeister it? He's so aggresive I can't imagine that would work.

One second thought, just fold, there is little if any EV in betting and c/c the turn and river without a diamond.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well here's what I am thinking. He probably knows I am fairly tight and that I raised in the BB OOP so he probably puts me on 2 big cards or a mid-high PP. He has also seen me use the bet-fold line a few times. On top of that there is a strong chance the board totally missed me with that range of hands. With the board paired, 2 to a straight, and 3 to a flush I figure he would raise me with any pair, gutshot, overs, or a single diamond. I am ahead of most of those.