Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 12:55 AM

Default Poker\'s future -- internet and live

I'm extremely optimistic about the future of poker, even online poker, but I'm still really stunned Ed Miller's book book could do this well -- shooting well into the Amazon Top 100.

Besides all the t.v. coverage poker is getting lately, I think it comes down to poker really being a quintessentially American game. Even though there are centuries of moral stricture against gambling in the mostly Christian American background, almost everyone is at least a little curious about it. Curious right through the outlawing of poker in private or public games and the association it has with a world of negative things it doesn't necessarily have to have much to do with.

You don't have to be good-looking, rich, young, in good shape, dress well, have a good haircut, a good education, a good job, a certain accent, be of royal blood, or even not be a total jerk to play it. Everyone can take a shot, and almost as many shots as he wants to. And lots of people find a level of play where they frankly don't care if they lose every day for years. I don't see how you could ever get poker out of of the American bloodstream. There's just too much about it that's central to the way Americans like to think about themselves.

Lots of people suggest that we beware the religious nuts and political opportunists who can try to make a stand against internet gambling either to please local or national gambling interests, or just to seem, at very low risk, like they're really doing something in office and are worth paying attention to. The days of internet gambling may well be drawing to a close, some say.

But the internet is growing, too, not closing down. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, and the U.S. doesn't control the entire internet.

As advanced communications become closer to the norm for more and more countries, look at what kind of exposure internet gambling can still attain. Look at the Chinese, for instance. Hong Kong chief executives are seen going to the racetracks every day; in their culture, gambling isn't "un-Christian" or thought of as particularly immoral, either. It's commonplace. Now, in mainland China, some people won't have internet for 100 years perhaps, but China is growing explosively and so its its wealth; it's poised to be one of the key powers of this century. A country with few moral strictures against gambling, over a billion strong, coming into more and more money and probably less and less control over time as at least some limited forms of capitalism expand there, seeking to catch up with the prosperity and lifestyle perks that seem to have passed it by so much in the last century is bound to adopt many of the more fun and showy American customs.

China, India, Europe, Russia, Southeast Asia -- American culture, it's music, movies, hairstyles and clothing, food and cars, are all very attractive to enormous swaths of populations there. There are literally billions of potential poker players out there.

You don't have to, or you won't have to, speak English eventually to play poker online.

I see a world or more and more people better and better connected, perhaps even richer and richer(who knows), more and more interested in western and specifically American ideas and pastimes, as an incredibly rich source of future gamblers of all types.

I find it hard to think of poker as a comparatively provincial, local game that will remain so despite a brief flare-up of popularity. It seems to be exploding in popularity and dragging itself further from the negative associations it has been burdened with and likely may never be burdened with again. Like beer through prohibition, it's just part of our culture. And there are cultures with people by the billions which have never had those negative associations in the first place.

So, I find it hard to believe that the world becoming more connected and American culture continuing its dominating spread throughout the planet, as well as poker's break-out into broad popular acceptance here in America, are factors that won't insure the growth of internet poker, and live poker, throughout the planet this next century. Unless somebody hits the wrong button and we're plunged into a new dark age or something.

Yet I sure hear a lot on these forums to the contrary.

I can't see any reason to cut back my confidence in internet and live poker's future.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:27 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Poker\'s future -- internet and live

the usa doesn't control the internet, but it controls its own banking institutions. if they flag neteller/igmpay as terrorist/gambling/money laundering clearing houses banks will comply with their wishes. if funding becomes at all difficult for joe citizen, online poker as we know it ends.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:11 AM

I agree that it will take some extreme measures to shut down internet gaming and poker.

I don't have much to add other than that I was busting up over the comment -

'you don't even have to not be a jerk to play it!'
Old 08-05-2004, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to be good-looking, rich, young, in good shape, dress well, have a good haircut, a good education, a good job, a certain accent, be of royal blood, or even not be a total jerk to play it. Everyone can take a shot, and almost as many shots as <font color="red"> he </font> wants to.

[/ QUOTE ]

You neglected to include gender in your list of non-requisites. Don't anger the feminists!

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 08-05-2004, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I'm still really stunned Ed Miller's book book could do this well -- shooting well into the Amazon Top 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros" is number 40 on this list so I don't think it's too crazy.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:07 AM

It may end for Joe American Citizen. But what about Joe Canadian citizen? What could the U.S. do to lock out the davidross's, or people from a whole world full of other countries? There are plenty of banks out there, in plenty of countries.

I do worry a bit for Americans sometimes. Shutting down internet gaming for its own citizens would be a really crummy thing for American politicians to do, but there should be plenty of politicians around who are willing to do virtually limitlessly crummy things for a few bucks, kickbacks, contributions. There's always some smug jerk out there proud of himself for taking away our free choice for our own good.

If I were one of those Americans who was doing really well playing poker online and playing internet poker became impossible in America, I'd pick up and leave and set up shop elsewhere, personally. Canada, wherever.

Online players not in the U.S. would probably find a huge drop in numbers of players online if Americans disappeared from the online poker scene, but there would still be the WSOP and poker events being beamed all over the world every year for the forseeable future, and I don't think online poker would be forever crippled even if no U.S. citizen could play online anymore. It would be slowed down for a period, but population wise, the U.S. is just a drop in the bucket anyway.

I hope it never comes down to U.S. politicians screwing over their own citizens like that.

But I would be surprised if online poker wouldn't survive regardless.

Anybody else think the U.S.'s forced withdrawal from the online poker market would destroy the industry entirely, or cripple it so severely that, say, people in Canada couldn't scrape by?
Old 08-05-2004, 06:00 AM

What percentage of online players do you think are from the states? I'd say 80, maybe 85. The US government may not be able to stop Ross from playing, but they could cut off his fish making it a waste of time, thus killing the whole thing.

But anyways, I'm not into that doom and gloom sh!t. I think poker, real and cyber will continue to grow by leaps and bounds over the next few years.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:31 AM

the U.S. doesn't control the entire internet.

China, India, Europe, Russia, Southeast Asia -- American culture, it's music, movies, hairstyles and clothing, food and cars, are all very attractive to enormous swaths of populations there.

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the U.S. doesn't control the entire internet.

China, India, Europe, Russia, Southeast Asia -- American culture, it's music, movies, hairstyles and clothing, food and cars, are all very attractive to enormous swaths of populations there.

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't control it, but historians know we INVENTED it ... well, Al Gore did, at least according to him.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com &lt;--- courtesy of Al Gore
Old 08-05-2004, 08:56 AM

if they flag neteller/igmpay as terrorist/gambling/money laundering clearing houses banks will comply with their wishes.

Such legislation has failed to make it to the Senate floor in two consecutive sessions. By the time it does (if indeed it ever does), Neteller and the sites will have had the time to either prepare their case for being exempted or to devise a work-around.