Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 06:50 PM

Default For some, Ed\'s SSHE book is the worst thing that could have happened.

If you've been reading the posts in the Small Stakes forum and expecially the Micro-Limits forum you can see that most of the posters need some HE 101 again before moving on to Ed's book. It has screwed them up big time!

Personal note: Ed's book lit a fire under my a$$! I'm playing better each session. I've read, and re-read SSHE some 12 times already. Before and after each session, I glance through chapters that I had situations come up in during the game.

Thank you Ed. Its the best 20 bucks I've ever spent.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:50 PM

Default Re: For some, Ed\'s SSHE book is the worst thing that could have happen

Some of us wish the secrets had stayed secret! That said, people misusing them to their detriment works for me as well.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:58 PM

Default Re: For some, Ed\'s SSHE book is the worst thing that could have happened.

For some, Ed's SSHE book is the worst thing that could have happened.

While I thank you for the compliment, I do want to respond to this.

While it may be true that people are making some mistakes they wouldn't have before they read the book... remember that they have also stopped making some mistakes they would have made before they read the book. You cannot merely look at the new mistakes they are making and conclude that the book hurt them, or was the "worst thing that could have happened."

In fact, I think most people, even those who do not understand the concepts clearly, will improve from reading the book. Obviously those who understand it will improve much more.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: For some, Ed\'s SSHE book is the worst thing that could have happened.

My personal misapplication? Now, whenever I see a big pot, I do whatever I can to win it. That doesn't work so well at no-limit, Ed, you should have warned us!

QQ on a AK2 flop? I'm all in baby!
Old 08-03-2004, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While it may be true that people are making some mistakes they wouldn't have before they read the book... remember that they have also stopped making some mistakes they would have made before they read the book. You cannot merely look at the new mistakes they are making and conclude that the book hurt them, or was the "worst thing that could have happened."

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this a bunch. I've made a mistake or two since reading the book, but I'm playing far better PF and getting better post-flop. The gains have far outweighed the leaks by far, and I can only get better.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:18 PM

I figured you'd like the title [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, the biggest difference in my game so far, is betting, or even raising, when before I folded. I've already seen HUGE difference in profits as far as the number of BB per hour that I'm winning. Sure, I get killed sometimes, but those HUGE pots that I helped ramp-up when my opponent was re-raising with bottom 2 or middle pair (trying to make me think he had the flush) more than make up for it.

Secondly, I've found that after being at a table for awhile, I'm actually "getting respect" on my raises and I can pull off more semi-bluffs! That almost NEVER happened before! I might re-raise with second pair on the board, get called, check to me, I bet and the guy folds the winner. Its happening, and I love it.

Thanks again Ed.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:01 PM

Default Re: For some, Ed\'s SSHE book is the worst thing that could have happen

I finally got my book today, I'm maybe a 1/4 through it so far, and I'm freaking blown away by how good it is. The way you present some of the harder concepts is so clear. I would say that I will never recoomend WLLH ever again, but your book is so frighteningly good, that I still may reccomend WLLH because I don't want anyone else to read your book [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2004, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I might re-raise with second pair on the board, get called, check to me, I bet and the guy folds the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the guy flash his cards, or are you assuming that your hand was no good?