Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Poker\'s future -- internet and live

Sorry, Koller, but nobody is imitating Finnish culture or buying Finnish records.

True.

btw NOKIA is Finnish product.

Like Americans or hate them

I like Americans.

Shaquile O'Neal T-shirts are just as hot in Zanzibar as they are here, maybe hotter.

Who cares basketball. Soccer is number 1 sports in the world.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:12 PM

Glad to see varkonyi writes about as well as he plays poker. What a rube. Also, as to the proliferation of american culture, i am with bill hicks, and will see you all down in arizona bay, or maybe just somewhere with universal health care. Also, i dont think internet poker could ever "die" it just wouldnt look like what it does today. Although, sometimes, these party fish are the reason i pray for nuclear halocaust in two minutes.

peace

john nickle

the mood altering drugs should kick in any time now..
Old 08-05-2004, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to hear any other believer's take on this and how the reaction among Christian brother's has been.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't address my status as a believer, but would a Christian feel he was doing something wrong or cruel if he opened up a restaurant in direct competition with a nearby restaurant or other restaurants? How about a farmer who farms apples just like his neighbor does, even though he could grow, oh, say, peaches instead?

I think you either buy into capitalism and the idea of competition at this kind of basic level or you don't buy into anything about either. Markets are competitive, and even if you do not compete in them as a direct attempt to threaten or lessen someone else's profit, the mere fact that you're even in the game makes that possible and even likely.

I guess I'm saying that I don't think competitiveness is in any way un-Christian. It can go too far, but without it, the species would never have gotten this far.

Poker is an especially pure and fair as competition, I think, because it is so voluntary. A baker may know nothing else and be a poor businessman, and be a great baker who is just a poor competitor. It would be a shame to lose his contribution to society if he loses out in the market and is forced to find some other, less productive work.

But that is the case with very few poker players. You know it is expressly all about competition going in, not making a good product that contributes to society or benefits anyone. You make NOTHING, and that's accepted right off the bat. Nobody entering a game can do so expecting to do anything but take money from someone if he is not to lose himself, so it's completely fair that he be subject to the same rules he implicitly approves by sitting down at the table. And it's no real loss to anyone, since a player losing out does not necessarily stop producing a product by being bounced out of the game, or lose his productively outside the table either -- certainly no more so than his opponent would if he were the one that lost. Value is not destroyed, merely transferred. A lot of regular business winds results in many more destructive consequences.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, Koller, but nobody is imitating Finnish culture or buying Finnish records.

True.

btw NOKIA is Finnish product.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, Nokia.

I think a lot of American products are crap, and strangely they're some of our most popular ones. Like McDonalds. Heck, all fast food burgers are pretty foul. And god knows almost all our television stinks and has for a long, long time. Can't deny the power they have in world consciousness, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Like Americans or hate them

I like Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like some things about them, don't like some others. Could say the same about people in any square mile on earth, really. I wasn't meaning to imply you didn't like Americans, but that it didn't matter whether anyone likes them or their culture or not -- the culture is still ravenously consumed abroad, and even by the people who can't stand America.

[ QUOTE ]
Shaquile O'Neal T-shirts are just as hot in Zanzibar as they are here, maybe hotter.

Who cares basketball. Soccer is number 1 sports in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like soccer better too. But basketball is by far the best American team sport.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:36 PM

<<<I like soccer better too. But basketball is by far the best American team sport.>>>

if by this you mean that american football isnt so much a sport as a way of life, then you are correct. Other than that, the only basketball that really matters is college ball and, occasionally, the NBA finals. Even then, the nba is horrible to watch.

peace

john nickle
Old 08-06-2004, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Amazon Top Sales List is not what you think, its a ranking system, which means SSHE is selling equally with the top 100 percentile books. No doubt its impressive, but there are many other books that share that same ranking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I believe you're mistaken at least once, probably two or three times.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:44 PM

I share your concerns, and had been formulating some thoughts when this post appeared. Since it is somewhat off thread topic I have started a new thread titled "Poker and Religion" under the Psychology forum (yeah, I know it doesn't fit there, but it didn't fit anywhere else either...)
Old 08-08-2004, 10:33 AM

I would lay odds that internet poker will NOT be banned for U.S. players. However if it were, this is how it would play out:

1. As a movement to shut the door on internet poker picks up steam and appears to be imminent, poker afficionados react by cramming their NeTeller accounts with all the spare cash they can muster, knowing this is their last chance.

2. For a while this inflow of fresh cash makes the internet games even more lively and everything is cool.

3. As each U.S. player takes that inevitable bad run of cards/play, his bankroll diminishes to an uncomfortable level.

4. At this point the player at least subconsciously tightens up and becomes more conservative in an effort to maintain remaining bankroll.

5. This plays right into the hands of the European players, many of whom are a touch more aggressive than average anyway, and eventually all the U.S. bankrolls end up in foreign hands.

6. The U.S. players are left with only home games or B&M poker rooms, which experience an explosion of participation/profitability. Those of us who live hundreds of miles from a cardroom are left with few options.

<sigh>
Old 08-09-2004, 04:31 PM

HTTP and HTML are character-based technologies. They can be used to download graphics, but so can FTP.

Email has been around since almost the very beginning, and is just as graphical (from both perspectives) as the web.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:18 PM

I would not count on that. A decent player will be lucky if he can win $30 an hour in a live 20-40 game. 1.5-2BB/hour is wishfull thinking for most.