Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 03:02 PM

Default ugh...I\'m so lost

After seeing how horrible some of the players at 5/10sh are, my new goal in life is to become good at this game. So far I'm not doing well. I've been u big and down big and now I'm back to even. here are some stats (I know the sample size is very small, but since I have little clue as to what I'm doing I'm sure it will point out some obvious flaws. I'm also going to start posting lots of hands, hopefully before to long I can start to beat this game

after 7K 5/10 SH my stats are as follows

VP$IP: 18.74%
VP$IP SB: 24.46%
folded SB to a steal: 87.43%
folded BB to steal: 70.05%
att to steal blinds: 25.89%
W$WSF: 40.91%
bb/100: .003 (bleh, heh)
WTSD: 36.58%
W$SD: 52.68%
PFR: 12.72%

I'm guessing my blind defense is a huge leak. What kind of hands should I be defending with? I know open limping is a big no no, what about limping after another limper? PF should it usually always be raise or fold? Do hands like Axo become playable? What about a hand like KQo from say the button to a EP raise? what about KQo from the SB to an EP raise and a CC??

Most alarming so far is that these are my biggest losers in order

A3s (1.10)
77 (.92)
AQs (.88)
KQs (.73)
KJs (.67)
AKs (.67)
KQo (.49)

Again, I know some of these suited cards being my biggest losers is to a small sample size, but the fact that all my big suited cards are big losers rings alarm bells to me.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: ugh...I\'m so lost

Alobar,

Overall, most of your stats look fine. The only stat that really looks out of line is the defense of the folded BB to a steal (70.05%). Ideally, I think you want that number around 50%. As far as what hands to play from the BB against a steal attempt...it depends on a bunch of factors. Position of the raise, looseness of the raiser, limpers before the raiser. You can probably get away with playing more medium unsuited connectors (109o, 98o, 87o) and possibly some Kxs, for example.

Looking at your stats, you nonexistant winrate is probably coming from 1 and/or 2 factors. First, considering the relatively small sample, you have just run bad. Secondly, you probably have some leaks postflop (i.e. the 77 hand posted). I suspect you are probably calling down a little too much when you are very likely beat. Actually, I'm quite sure the problem is a combination of these two factors.

Review your hand histories, keep playing, and see where you are after 15,000 hand. I suspect you'll be fine.

Good luck,

jujujaja34
Old 08-03-2004, 03:47 PM

Forget 'bout alarm bells on good hands until you have at least have 100 hands of each sort.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:50 PM

you really shouldn't be losing that much with big cards. without hand histories, this is probably a combination of all three things in order.

1. underplaying these hands and folding to often.
2. some bad luck on flops.
3. not folding when obviously beat.

high card has won me some huge pots against these terrible players.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:46 PM

I think through 15k hands of 10/20 despite a massively high winrate, 88 was my biggest loser at something like a whopping -3BB/hand. The point of all this? It's very very hard to draw conclusions for individual hands on less than maybe 30-40k minimum hands (more for the suited/pairs, less for the offsuit). AKs was a loser as well.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think through 15k hands of 10/20 despite a massively high winrate, 88 was my biggest loser at something like a whopping -3BB/hand. The point of all this? It's very very hard to draw conclusions for individual hands on less than maybe 30-40k minimum hands (more for the suited/pairs, less for the offsuit). AKs was a loser as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. AQs was still a break even hand for me around 60,000 hands. It's been creeping up gradually now but I think with individual hands the long run is just that long, though I don't mean to imply I play good with AQs. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2004, 09:56 AM

Since your stats look more or less in order, why dont you post some of your hands that you lost with

especially the AQs , AKs , KQs etc