Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 06:34 PM

Default There is Something About Mary

Because it is the one subject where Not Ready is closer to being right than Catholics. But my question is "why does anybody care?" Don't people have enough things to argue about regarding religious things that actually matter?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: There is Something About Mary

[ QUOTE ]
Because it is the one subject where Not Ready is closer to being right than Catholics. But my question is "why does anybody care?" Don't people have enough things to argue about regarding religious things that actually matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are new here so I'll cut you some slack. But you should use the search function as this question has been asked and answered many times.

(I've always wanted to say that to you...now that I'm finished entertaining myselft you can have your thread back)
Old 09-23-2005, 06:39 PM

Hi David -

What in the world are you talking about?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:31 PM

ISn't is an example of a miracle?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:07 PM

David are you talking about the status of Mary in Catholicism as opposed to other denominations of Christianity, given the text of the NT only as a guide?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:27 PM

BluffTHIS says Mary is without sin. Not Ready and you say otherwise. Obviously you two are right. But why does it matter? (Even Not Ready says it doesn't)
Old 09-23-2005, 10:57 PM

Jokingly I say:

You do not accept the concept of sin, yet you contend that Mary must have had sin.

You ask why does anyone care, yet you post a questions about it.

Seriously, I say:

Let’s take your point to mean what you obviously meant - that if there is such a thing as sin then Mary must have had it. Secondly, why is Mary so important to Catholics and not so important to other denominations.

Where do I start?

Before I give you my non answer to your post (for now) let me say this: What took you so long to ask? You will probably find that this is going to be one of your strongest arguments against Catholicism. Not because you are correct (or not); but I am confident that you are going to find it one of the most ridiculous things we believe.

I am not going to attempt to answer this at this time - mostly because it is not so easy for me to - but also because Bluff and bigdaddyvo, I am sure, will do a better job at it than I. I will collect my thoughts and get back to you.

Until you hear from them or me, let me state 3 things for the record so we all know some basics about the Catholic Church and Mary.

1) There were two times in the history of the Catholic Church that the pope has spoken infallibly. Both times had to do with Mary. Bidgaddydvo has a post here on 09/17/05 about the first “ex cathedra” (Latin for “from the chair”, refers metaphorically to the chair of St. Peter,the first Pope and the guy of which Jesus said “On this rock, I will build my Church” - Peter means rock) statement in 1854 regarding the Immaculate Conception. The other time the Pope spoke infallibly (in 1950, I believe) had to do with Mary’s Assumption into Heaven - body and soul.

2) Althought these 2 dogmas are infallible teachings, they aren't as important to Christianity, per se, as Jesus, Himself is.

3)We do not worship Mary, we honor her.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:37 AM

This might explain things. Others can confirm or correct me.

The basic disagreement between Catholics and other denominations regarding Mary stems mostly from the following:

Catholic beliefs stem not only from the Bible. We use sources in addition to the
Bible - for example early century Church Fathers (more or less the early theologians) - our doctrine did (does) not stop at the Bible. As you can see from my previous post, it is as recent as 1950 that we had a “major official stamp” on the Doctrine of the Assumption of Mary (this was not a new belief, just formalized so to speak).

Most (all? - don’t really know) Protestants take their doctrine only from the Bible. Different denominations interpret various parts of the Bible differently ( from each other and from Catholics).

Mary is not mentioned in the Bible much.

To answer your question - why does anybody care? I really didn’t know it was such a big issue. I mean of course it is a big difference in opinion and relatively speaking a big difference in Theology. But I don’t think most care that much. I wouldn’t put it at the top of the list of thing to discuss with those not very familiar with Christianity; if that too is what you are asking.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BluffTHIS says Mary is without sin. Not Ready and you say otherwise. Obviously you two are right. But why does it matter? (Even Not Ready says it doesn't)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is important because truth is important. However you are right because there is a hierarchy of truths in Christianity and some are more important than others. And regarding what is necessary for salvation, the doctrines regarding the Blessed Virgin Mary are less important. However, regarding living a christian life and receiving all the graces possible for help in same and regarding the paradigm for the Kingdom of God, she is very important. She would tell you herself that she doesn't care if she is marginalized, because her only job it to point to her Son.

However for those protestants who don't believe that God allowed Mary to be conceived without the effects of original sin, they should only ask themselves if they were in a hospital immediately after the birth of their child and were offered the choice of two blankets in which to wrap their new child, would they choose a ragged, torn and soiled blanket or a perfect, spotless and clean one? Which would God choose for His Son?

To be deep in history is to cease to be a protestant.
-John Henry Newman, cardinal bishop and anglican convert to catholicism
Old 09-24-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... after the birth of their child and were offered the choice of two blankets in which to wrap their new child, would they choose a ragged, torn and soiled blanket or a perfect, spotless and clean one? Which would God choose for His Son?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this.