Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Improving ones poker play with SnGs?

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to really improve your game, you need to diversify. Play Stud, PLO, O8, Razz, etc. Playing a lot of LHE and PLHE will directly help your post-flop play, but understanding the different variants of poker does a great deal for you overall game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear some people say this, but I can't quite understand why that is the case? Are there ways of thinking that the theories of Hold'em are missing? Are you sure this has nothing to do with simply gaining experience in poker overall?
Old 07-09-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does "CG" mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cash game.

And I know pre-flop hand odds and inflection theory better than any cash game player I know IRL.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is "inflection theory"?
Old 07-09-2005, 04:55 AM

Old 07-09-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to really improve your game, you need to diversify. Play Stud, PLO, O8, Razz, etc. Playing a lot of LHE and PLHE will directly help your post-flop play, but understanding the different variants of poker does a great deal for you overall game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear some people say this, but I can't quite understand why that is the case? Are there ways of thinking that the theories of Hold'em are missing? Are you sure this has nothing to do with simply gaining experience in poker overall?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. Playing 100% NL hold'em will of course make someone a better NL hold'em player faster than playing a bunch of other games.

People who say playing 7 stud hi/lo cash games, etc. will somehow improve your NL hold'em tourney game drive me nuts. Play more freakin' NL if that's where you wanna improve.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:06 AM

If you want to play better hold 'em I would definately recommend CG's. SNGs - especially party sngs, are a game onto themselves. I feel like a monkey - i have learned a very specific skill set, and kill the 20s and 30s on party. Yet I cant even beat the cash games on party, and they dont get any weaker online. How pathetic is that? I lost about 300 bucks trying to clear that stupid empire bonus recently. hahahaha. I can beat my home game, hahah, but thats only because of very weak players that I have played for awhile and know very well ( I didnt do well the first few times we played). Yet I am doing very well in the sngs - will prolly clear 3500 or so this month just on the 20s. So no - I dont feel like sngs are improving my game at all.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:21 AM

SNG's are an oddity since you'll transition from a low-blind cash game approach early on to high blind ram & jam. The latter skillset is actually very important to extracting maximum +EV in late stages of multitable tournies where the escalation in prize money is huge and you can run over players not used to this level of aggression.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:00 AM

Learn them all. I played limit holdem ring games for a long time. Then I got into MTTs and SNGs for a bit. Went back to ring, and played a ton of short-handed (5-6 max) limit holdem. That really improved my overall poker game, and short-handed limit holdem is a blast. Back at SNGs now, but mainly only for the profit, and I play about a dozen MTTs a week too.

Becoming a better player is important, but enjoyement and profit are just as important IMO. SNGs are a nice low variance source of profit (compared to LHE atleast), and I it's a very relaxing and enjoyable form of poker for me. Poker is first and foremost a game of money, there's no inherent value in becoming a better player.